Sat 20 Oct - 0:07 by prah

» T80 travels
Fri 19 Oct - 10:38 by steve9e

T80 CDI saga

Go down

T80 CDI saga

Post  steve9e on Wed 27 Jun - 8:47

hi Guys :d\\'-\\':

Hopefully my problem CDI episode looks sorted as fitting a s/h unit did the trick and the little bike has done 140 miles since without a hiccup. Very Happy
With the advance in technology often called "progress" it anoys me that something quite common as a CDI circuit is made virtually unrepairable by the suppliers attempts to make them a throw away item and in the mean time causing all sorts of red herrings during the fault finding excercise.  Mad
However, the rant is over and when I have the inclination I will try and dig out the cuircuit from the manufacturers gunge. It can be done but we will see.
I can confirm that the numbers on the T80 unit starts with 35T-MO seems to be the vital part when trying to identify a second hand replacement, but no doubt some later units will be OK.

In my experience usually electronic circuits when they fail they just stop working and that is it, but in my case the fault was intermittent for a number of days before finally turning up it's toes. Rolling Eyes

I did check out the resistances quoted in the Haynes manual a number if times and looking back , the first tests I did all but one check was correct, which was " near enough?", subsequent tests a few days later when the problem became more inconvenient, more errors had appeared until finally on the last test which was done with my electronics trained pal, the unit was failing all tests virtually. So the unit definately deteriated over a few days.

One final comment on testing out all the other parts of the ignition circuit covered by the Haynes manual were spot on with their data and are simple tests that can be done by anyone following Haynes instructions Very Happy

cheers :d\\'-\\':

steve9e

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: T80 CDI saga

Post  JohnW on Wed 27 Jun - 16:19

Looks like you have had a bit of bad luck there Steve as the CDI's dont normally give trouble. Maybe the fact that the bike sat around unused for some years. Anyway glad you have sorted it.

JohnW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Duckrider on Sat 30 Jun - 19:47

What is a s/h unit?
Duckrider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW on Sat 30 Jun - 19:55

Second hand unit Surprised