Sat 12 Aug - 21:54 by JohnW

» yamaha v75 1974
Sun 6 Aug - 22:01 by JohnW

Hello from Down Under!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from Down Under!

Post  3hundredspartans on Tue 17 Apr - 20:53

Hi All,

I'm new here and found the forum browsing the web and just wanted to introduce myself.

No Yamaha Townmates in Australia YET! until my one arrives in approx. 6 weeks.

I must say I am now the proud owner of a 1988 model which is currently in transit on its way to OZ.

Cannot wait until it arrives!!!

Regards, Frank. cheers

3hundredspartans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Down Under!

Post  Admin drgaz on Wed 18 Apr - 2:29

Hi Frank,welcome to the forum,
That sounds expensive! whats the tail behind this adventure? where is the T80 Coming from?
Admin drgaz
Admin

View user profile http://www.minigallery.co.uk/Anne_Twist/      http://bazzarpixie

Back to top Go down

Post  3hundredspartans on Wed 18 Apr - 11:24

Hi Admin DrGaz,

I purchased the scooter from a gentlemen in Kidderminster, just outside Birmingham. I had to find a pre 1989 model because the Australian Vehicle Standards Act takes effect on vehicles 1989 and onwards which need to be complianced which is very expensive and time consuming.

You guys are fortunate to have such a wide variety of scooters whereas here in Australia the selection to choose from is very limited particularly with the classic scooters. 20 years ago I worked in the Greek Islands renting mopeds including T50s and T80s and instantly liked them, and with the price of fuel, parking and the level of traffic we now experience in Sydney, a scooter is the way to go. In their wisdom, Yamaha Australia never sold the Townmate here. I don't know why whereas Honda Australia sold the Honda C90 and it is available here in small numbers but in my opinion the Townmate has the engineering edge over the Honda.

Very few scooters currently available in Australia appeal to me anyway but they are quite expensive, one being the Honda SHI 150 which costs around £4,000 new. Importing the T80 will have cost me £1,600 on the road here so less than half, and you also have a unique scooter, well unique here in Australia anyway. Compared to having one in the UK it is expensive but it is definitely worth it considering the savings on running costs alone that make it viable as the weather allows you to ride all year.

I'll post some pics of it.

Regards, Frank

3hundredspartans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dick65 on Thu 19 Apr - 4:33

hello frank,is it hard getting spares in oz or do you just use ebay? congrats on your aquisition m8 Very Happy
dick65

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin drgaz on Thu 19 Apr - 8:07

Great story Frank look forward to some pics when the T80 arrives mine is living at my mothers in Mid wales at the mo but hope to pick it up next week.
I quite fancy one of these,CT150

Never came to the UK. Crying or Very sad
Admin drgaz
Admin

View user profile http://www.minigallery.co.uk/Anne_Twist/      http://bazzarpixie

Back to top Go down

Post  3hundredspartans on Thu 19 Apr - 11:20

Yep, just use eBay and I have a list breakers and shops in the UK (Pattern Parts) that I source what I can. The Honda CT110 are everywhere here. Australia Post use them to deliver, so Honda have done well by selling to Australia Post.

I suppose I am lucky that the CT110 has a few similar parts particularly the rims spokes, tyre and tube sizes. Don't know about the brakes and hubs.

Cheers, Frank

3hundredspartans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW on Thu 19 Apr - 19:16

3hundredspartans wrote:Hi Admin DrGaz,

I purchased the scooter from a gentlemen in Kidderminster, just outside Birmingham. I had to find a pre 1989 model because the Australian Vehicle Standards Act takes effect on vehicles 1989 and onwards which need to be complianced which is very expensive and time consuming.

You guys are fortunate to have such a wide variety of scooters whereas here in Australia the selection to choose from is very limited particularly with the classic scooters. 20 years ago I worked in the Greek Islands renting mopeds including T50s and T80s and instantly liked them, and with the price of fuel, parking and the level of traffic we now experience in Sydney, a scooter is the way to go. In their wisdom, Yamaha Australia never sold the Townmate here. I don't know why whereas Honda Australia sold the Honda C90 and it is available here in small numbers but in my opinion the Townmate has the engineering edge over the Honda.

Very few scooters currently available in Australia appeal to me anyway but they are quite expensive, one being the Honda SHI 150 which costs around £4,000 new. Importing the T80 will have cost me £1,600 on the road here so less than half, and you also have a unique scooter, well unique here in Australia anyway. Compared to having one in the UK it is expensive but it is definitely worth it considering the savings on running costs alone that make it viable as the weather allows you to ride all year.

I'll post some pics of it.

Regards, Frank

Hi Frank
I am surprised that your cheapest scooter in Oz is £4000, in UK the Honda Innova 125 (nearest thing these days to a Townmate) is only £2270 on the road http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/scooters/#!/anf125i/ Being 125cc they have a bit better performance than a T80 but still give over 120 mpg. Of course they dont have shaft drive & are a derivative of the C90.
Trouble with Townmates that are left in the UK is rust. They go around the rear mudguard & in the rear frame section behind swinging arm pivot, where the tubular main frame joins the sheet metal box section. Most of those that come up on eBay have rust in these places & eventually will be bad enough to cause MoT failure. Due to the design, repairs/refurbishment to the frame is difficult & expensive to do, you need to strip the bike right down, shotblast the frame, weld in new metal & repaint. Not worth it if you are only using it as cheap everyday transport. My own T80 is now over 20 years old & I am continually having to keep the rust at bay by sanding down rust spots each year & hand painting over. Luckily mine is blue & Hammerite do a good match in their Smoothrite paints. In the UK A J Sutton still supply some OEM parts for T80 (no side panel decals though) but prices are expensive. ie exhaust system over £200 when pattern ones can be got for under £40. Best of luck with your bike.

JohnW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum