YAMAHA TOWNMATE T80 FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

Top posting users this week
No user

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 237 on Fri 17 Sep - 12:50
Latest topics
» Swing Arm Bolt Query,,,,, Help !!!!!
Retrofitting a Townmate to run on a 12V system. EmptyThu 29 Feb - 11:22 by Cilldara1

» How does a Recruitment CRM improve collaboration among team members involved in the hiring process?
Retrofitting a Townmate to run on a 12V system. EmptyWed 6 Dec - 5:08 by samsmith

» Hello from Lancashire
Retrofitting a Townmate to run on a 12V system. EmptyFri 20 Oct - 12:19 by fast but dim

» E488RNW in Scotland
Retrofitting a Townmate to run on a 12V system. EmptyThu 12 Oct - 17:42 by JohnW

» New 275 x 17 Heidenau tyres
Retrofitting a Townmate to run on a 12V system. EmptyTue 19 Sep - 14:04 by JohnW

» T80 in H J Pugh Auction 29th September reg No K358XPH
Retrofitting a Townmate to run on a 12V system. EmptyMon 18 Sep - 20:39 by JohnW

» After market front damper warning
Retrofitting a Townmate to run on a 12V system. EmptyWed 13 Sep - 19:38 by JohnW

» Got me foxed
Retrofitting a Townmate to run on a 12V system. EmptyFri 11 Aug - 14:45 by julio745

» Shortage of ignition switches
Retrofitting a Townmate to run on a 12V system. EmptyThu 10 Aug - 20:09 by JohnW

Retrofitting a Townmate to run on a 12V system.

3 posters

Go down

Retrofitting a Townmate to run on a 12V system. Empty Retrofitting a Townmate to run on a 12V system.

Post  3hundredspartans Wed 24 Oct - 6:01

Hi All,

As a topic of conversation and advice, would it be at all possible to convert the 6V electrical system on the Townmates to run on a 12V electrical system?

I can understand there would be some extensive work needed but could it be done?

Auto electrics are beyond me, but I'd be interested in your ideas, thoughts, opinions etc.

Cheers, Frank.

3hundredspartans

Back to top Go down

Retrofitting a Townmate to run on a 12V system. Empty Re: Retrofitting a Townmate to run on a 12V system.

Post  JohnW Wed 24 Oct - 9:27

Electrex World http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/ do 12v lighting coils & generators for a number of bikes but nothing listed for T80, & they are expensive. The thing is how often do you ride it after dark. The 6v direct lighting could probably be improved a bit by fitting a quartz bulb & the indicators (only 10 watts) could be improved by fitting more modern LED ones which also would not have such a drain on the battery. I use my bike daily & sometimes after dark, on urban roads with good street lighting its not a problem. On country roads they are just about adequate for the speed of the bike. I think you could spend alot of money on a conversion but not really get to use it.
Another solution may be to fit a good LED bicycle headlamp additional to the main head light as a daylight running light, & auxillery light after dark (a spotlight) Some of these bike headlamps are really powerful.

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Retrofitting a Townmate to run on a 12V system. Empty Re: Retrofitting a Townmate to run on a 12V system.

Post  3hundredspartans Wed 24 Oct - 9:32

Thanks for the reply John,

Good to see what options there are and what you guys think so far.

Cheers, Frank

3hundredspartans

Back to top Go down

Post  stevepb Sun 28 Oct - 21:19

In the 80's and early 90's most small bikes, scooters and mopeds run on a 6v system. I also find the headlight a joke and on unlit roads I find myself following the line in the middle of the road as a guide to where I am on the road, not good. just fitted bright led lights to the mirror base and they do light up the road more than the head light. I am considering fitting more, but I will have to work out where to fit them. I use my t80 almost every day and ride with my headlight on at all times. The headlight bulb blew 500 miles ago and has just blown again. At only £1.50 each I have bought 3 and will keep one and a small screwdriver.

stevepb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down