Mon 25 Sep - 16:59 by CRISTIAN 1

» Jap Import
Sat 23 Sep - 5:32 by JohnW

Hello from Lancashire

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from Lancashire

Post  Fellrunner on Thu 29 Aug - 5:13

Hi all,
I bought a t80 a couple of months ago due to illness preventing me riding anything bigger plus my son talking me into it as he has a c90 and i have to admit i really enjoy riding it (now I'm used to the speed lol ) I can go out on a run taking in mostly back roads and end up doing 60miles plus and its returning 130+ mpg Shocked 
Ive also ended up buying a couple of scrappers for spares so should be ok if anything goes wrong but i believe they are fairly bulletproof if maintained well. Not seen another one out and about as yet but quite a few c90 s.
I like the shaft drive, its a great idea but probably more expensive to manufacture hence its rarity.
I wonder what the difference in new price was between the T80 and the C90 as apart from the 6v electrics the T80 seems better equipped.
I tend to keep my top speed between 40 and 45mph as it does sound a little harassed above that and i lean on the side of mechanical sympathy.:d\\'-\\': 
Fellrunner

Fellrunner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Lancashire

Post  JohnW on Thu 29 Aug - 5:34

Welcome aboard Fellrunner. You seem to have got to grips with the T80, yes a couple of scrappers for spares is a good idea. As you say the T80 is 'bullet proof' if maintained correctly, change the engine oil regularly (about 1500 miles) & check the grease in the rear drive  worth opening it up to check grease has not dried out, correct grease is Castrol Spheerol  (semi liquid). Rust is the main killer of the T80, keep it at bay especially around the rear suspension mounts, rear mudguard & the boxed in section above swinging arm & it should be good for a few years.

JohnW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hello from Lancahire

Post  Fellrunner on Thu 29 Aug - 9:28

Thanks John,
Rust doesnt seem to bad with only very minor surface rust around shocker mounts which i have treated for now. i was thinking of taking the tank out over winter and treating the inside of the box section. Will also check the grease in the drive at the same time. Hopefully i will get a few more good rides out before the poor weather kicks in.
One of the bikes i got for spares seems to have suffered quite bad from rust on the frame but only has 10k on the clock but the chrome isnt to bad though, i can only assume if they have been ridden on salty roads over winter the frames corrode quite bad.

Fellrunner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW on Thu 29 Aug - 18:34

Good idear to remove tank & battery cradle & clean any rust from the box section where the frame tube joins the pressed steel, then treat with wax oil or similar rust preventative. Also worth doing underside of rear mudguard. As these bikes were bought mainly by non motorcyclists as a commutor bikes they did not look after them, ie wash them down every week in winter to remove salt & dirt. Just put them away in the shed wet and salty. If you need to repaint, Hammerite Smoothrite Blue is a good match, you can buy it in aerosols or tins for brush painting.

JohnW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re hello from lancashire

Post  Fellrunner on Thu 29 Aug - 19:52

I was looking to see if i could get some touch up and couldnt find any available on the net so its good to know that hammerite is a near match, thanks for that.

Fellrunner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW on Fri 30 Aug - 2:24

Fellrunner wrote:I was looking to see if i could get some touch up and couldnt find any available on the net so its good to know that hammerite is a near match, thanks for that.
If you want the exact colour RS Bike Paints do the Blue http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-gb/colours.php#makeid=157&modelid=4313&prodyear=1990&colourscheme=12189

JohnW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re Hello from Lancashire

Post  Fellrunner on Fri 30 Aug - 2:59

Great link, it appears you are very knowledgable when it comes to the Townmate, really glad ive found this site and thanks again. Very Happy 

Fellrunner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin drgaz on Fri 30 Aug - 7:57

Welcome Fellrunner always nice to see new folk aboard regards Gaz:d\\\'-\\\': 
Admin drgaz
Admin

View user profile http://www.minigallery.co.uk/Anne_Twist/      http://bazzarpixie

Back to top Go down

Post  barker on Mon 2 Sep - 1:49

welcome to the t80 riders most of have a honda90 as well but we like the t80 best shame it never made it to 12volt

barker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum