» 1994 T80 Grey Townmate
Mon 25 Sep - 16:59 by CRISTIAN 1

» Jap Import
Sat 23 Sep - 5:32 by JohnW

steering head bearings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

steering head bearings

Post  mark.l on Tue 18 Feb - 9:08

Hi all,I am i the middle of restoring a T80 and need new steering head bearings,searched on line but to no avail,apart from A J Sutton who want more than 3 times as much as I paid for the bike(£10) . Not sure if taper roller bearings are available?
Also may need leg shields,mine are scuffed and cracked,any help would be greatly appreciated,Mark

mark.l

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: steering head bearings

Post  Admin drgaz on Tue 18 Feb - 10:42

Hi Mark, not sure about the head bearings John may be along later with some links, as for the leg shields some one on here may have a spare set shame there cracked,gaz
Admin drgaz
Admin

View user profile http://www.minigallery.co.uk/Anne_Twist/      http://bazzarpixie

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW on Tue 18 Feb - 20:18

Admin drgaz wrote:Hi Mark, not sure about the head bearings John may be along later with some links, as for the leg shields some one on here may have a spare set shame there cracked,gaz

You cant fit taper roller bearings, if its only the balls that need replacing then try a cycle shop they will probably have some if you take one along for a sample. If its the tracks themselves then as far as new ones are concerned Suttons is probably the only place unless you can find a Yamaha dealer with old stock, but they will be the same price, as these would be genuine parts I dont think anyone sells pattern ones, anyway its not worth the risk. Have to bite the bullet I am afraid.
As for leg shields you will be lucky to find a mint set, they always get scratched & scuffed.

JohnW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mark.l on Wed 19 Feb - 9:01

thanks guys,yes its just the balls i need to replace,I lost a few while stripping the bike down Sad 
Will head to the local bike shop at the weekend.
Maybe I can get my leg shields repaired and painted. Got the bike in bits and am sorting some rust issues around the rear mudguard then I will blast and paint it and can get it built up,got lots of boxes of shiney things to put on it,new wheels,exhaust,bushes etc.Quite enjoying this wee project.
thanks for your help,Mark

mark.l

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW on Wed 19 Feb - 9:36

The balls are 5mm dia if you cant get them at a bike shop Simply Bearings do them in packs of 100 http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/product_detail.php?products_id=35920&gclid=CMSEgdnc1rwCFWLHtAodagUA5Q
There were some leg shields on ebay a few weeks back http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/yamaha-t80-townmate-leg-shield-v50-v75-v80-v90-step-through-moped-c50-c90-/301064576007 might be worth giving seller a ring (phone number in ad) in case buyer did not pay up.

JohnW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  barker on Thu 20 Feb - 8:28

were are you cos ive got a spare set of leg shields but im on the south coast they are not damaged but a tad scratched will post but don't have a foggist idea how much it cost to do so

barker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mark.l on Wed 26 Feb - 9:13

Thanks JohnW for the info,much appreciated.Barker i am in edinburgh, not sure how much it would be to post,wonder if they could be plastic welded?
If not I may be interested.How much do you want for them?
sorry for not getting back sooner, been up to my eyes in work Crying or Very sad 
Mark

mark.l

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  barker on Wed 26 Feb - 20:17

leg shiels you can have for a fiver ,is anyone coming down this way in the ner futer who would be willing to pick them up for you

barker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mark.l on Thu 27 Feb - 9:24

Hi Barker, unfortunately I dont know anyone coming down your way in the near future, I would be able to pay you through paypal if you were willing to post it up. I understand if you dont want to do that,no worries. Cheers Mark

mark.l

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  barker on Thu 27 Feb - 19:14

send me a pm with your address and I will se how much they cost to post

barker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mark.l on Fri 28 Feb - 6:42

Sent via pm :-)  admin drgaz

mark.l

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  barker on Sun 9 Mar - 5:20

cant make any sense out of the leaflet the post office gave me so will have to take item in to them

barker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  barker on Tue 11 Mar - 0:25

took the leg shields up to the post office this morning waited in the queue with the old dears had to explain what it was I was carrying and why were it was going and why I don't think they understood but it helped pass the time while the one at the head of the queue made several attempts to use there payment card after a lot of shouting at he man behind the counter that the number was 1717 and it was the concretive party's fault that he had to use the bloody thing in the first place and what was wrong with using money like they did in his days he was led to one side by a assistant to calm down and see if he could remember his pin number
the rest of us moved forward trying not to look smug as we did our pin numbers the cost of sending the leg shields plus a couple of odd bits was £12.92 I thanked the assistant and took my stuff home to pack it up for posting once I have informed the person its intended for the cost tomorrow I will have to face all this fun again o the joy of being retired

barker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top