YAMAHA TOWNMATE T80 FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

Top posting users this week
No user

Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 237 on Fri 17 Sep - 12:50
Latest topics
» Swing Arm Bolt Query,,,,, Help !!!!!
Bike Seems Thirsty! EmptyThu 29 Feb - 11:22 by Cilldara1

» How does a Recruitment CRM improve collaboration among team members involved in the hiring process?
Bike Seems Thirsty! EmptyWed 6 Dec - 5:08 by samsmith

» Hello from Lancashire
Bike Seems Thirsty! EmptyFri 20 Oct - 12:19 by fast but dim

» E488RNW in Scotland
Bike Seems Thirsty! EmptyThu 12 Oct - 17:42 by JohnW

» New 275 x 17 Heidenau tyres
Bike Seems Thirsty! EmptyTue 19 Sep - 14:04 by JohnW

» T80 in H J Pugh Auction 29th September reg No K358XPH
Bike Seems Thirsty! EmptyMon 18 Sep - 20:39 by JohnW

» After market front damper warning
Bike Seems Thirsty! EmptyWed 13 Sep - 19:38 by JohnW

» Got me foxed
Bike Seems Thirsty! EmptyFri 11 Aug - 14:45 by julio745

» Shortage of ignition switches
Bike Seems Thirsty! EmptyThu 10 Aug - 20:09 by JohnW

Bike Seems Thirsty!

+2
JohnW
fender
6 posters

Go down

Bike Seems Thirsty! Empty Bike Seems Thirsty!

Post  fender Tue 10 Jun - 21:00

I am a big guy at 6ft 2 and not light. Been riding the T-80 a lot lately, some runs up to 14 miles plus around town. I have rode it gently, not much over 35mph most of the time but the machine seems to be a bit thirstier than I expected. Has only done 13,000 miles.

I changed air filter to a small K&N style high flow filter, not too long otherwise it would foul the front mudguard. No apparent fuel leaks and I ride it gently through the gears.

What sort of mileages do you get from a tankful? Anything I can check to see that may cause excess fuel consumption (tyres correctly inflated).

Thanks

fender

Back to top Go down

Bike Seems Thirsty! Empty Re: Bike Seems Thirsty!

Post  JohnW Tue 10 Jun - 22:35

fender wrote:I am a big guy at 6ft 2 and not light. Been riding the T-80 a lot lately, some runs up to 14 miles plus around town. I have rode it gently, not much over 35mph most of the time but the machine seems to be a bit thirstier than I expected. Has only done 13,000 miles.

I changed air filter to a small K&N style high flow filter, not too long otherwise it would foul the front mudguard. No apparent fuel leaks and I ride it gently through the gears.

What sort of mileages do you get from a tankful? Anything I can check to see that may cause excess fuel consumption (tyres correctly inflated).

Thanks

Around 120 mpg seems about average (or 130 miles to a tank full, tank holds 5 litres)

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank1e Wed 11 Jun - 9:41

I tried my t80s fuel range last week it ran dry at 139 miles from full tank..looks to me that the k&n is the cause of your bikes thirst had one on myself for a time .. made mine over fuel(ran rich) dont think the weight would make that much difference ,i ride two up quite a lot an dont see much change in consumption..hope this helps Smile 

Frank1e

Back to top Go down

Post  teapot Wed 11 Jun - 9:56

I usually fill mine up approximately every 120 miles - when it gets near the bottom of the red part of the guage.

Most of my riding is either on dual carrriageways (full throttle - approximately 50mph) or 40ish on rural B/C roads.

A worn or partially blocked carb can also cause high fuel consumption. Tiny air holes in the needle guide can become blocked due to corrosion or contamination and cause rich mixture at 1/4 to 3/4 throttle. Or if at some point somebody has poked the main jet with wire to clear a blockage the jet can become enlarged and cause rich mixture.

Suitable replacement main jets can be found here if needed:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARB-MAIN-JET-6mm-M6-DELLORTO-PIAGGIO-VESPA-SIZE-85-/161311101525?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item258ee41255

teapot

Back to top Go down

Post  Duckrider Fri 13 Jun - 11:29

Ι fill with gasoline at 180 kilometers when has left a few in fuel tank.
But I drive more in town and usually with two people.

Do a check at the vacuum petrol switch, if it has punctured the inner membrane sucks fuel from there straight to the intake.
The exhaust smells of unburned gasoline;
You have correctly set the mixture;
Have you  check the condition of the spark plug ?
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp
Duckrider
Duckrider

Back to top Go down

Post  fender Mon 16 Jun - 22:37

Plug condition tells me combustion is as good as you can get.
When you just get into the red on the fuel gauge, how many miles do you normally have left?

fender

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin drgaz Mon 16 Jun - 22:47

That could depend on the calibration of the fuel gauge sender unit, There not all exactly the same, some one will have a better idea than me ,

Admin drgaz
Admin drgaz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Tue 17 Jun - 8:36

Admin drgaz wrote:That could depend on the calibration of the fuel gauge sender unit, There not all exactly the same, some one will  have a better idea than me ,

As you say Gaz, gauges vary. best idea is to run down to red & then top up & see how much you can get in. Tank holds 5 litres so if you can get in 4 litres you have 1 litre reserve.
You can calibrate the gauge by putting 2.5 litres into tank when gauge should read 1/2 full, if its higher or lower you can remove the sender unit & bend the float arm so as to get the gauge to read right. Of course you have to replace sender unit each time & wait for gauge to settle.

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down