None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 29 on Tue 30 May - 4:54
Latest topics
» Where Can I Get A Decal
Today at 0:24 by 3hundredspartans

» wind screen
Sun 10 Dec - 7:31 by JohnW

» T80 carb. Mystery spring position. Help needed.
Thu 7 Dec - 23:58 by JohnW

» Another well rusted T80
Thu 7 Dec - 9:06 by JohnW

» Cant believe this passed MoT with no advisorys
Thu 7 Dec - 9:03 by JohnW

» Is this the roughest Townmate ever
Tue 5 Dec - 21:22 by JohnW

» fitting a sat nav
Tue 5 Dec - 9:13 by 3hundredspartans

» Emulsion Tube Removal
Sun 3 Dec - 8:21 by prah

» Speedo Assembly
Mon 27 Nov - 16:42 by 3hundredspartans

stuck fuel gauge

View previous topic View next topic Go down

stuck fuel gauge

Post  oldsomeman on Sat 29 Aug - 6:07

This T80 is sure setting me problems
the fuel gauge indicator stays firmly on the half full range even when filled.It dosen't go back to rest when the ignition is switched off.
So....is it more likely to be the tank sender unit or the gauge in the speedo area please.
If its the speedo are they repairable or do you need a new speedo unit as the manual doesnt say.nor indeed suggests a solution to the needle stuck on the indicator.
Just wondering if its the tank sender unit is it quicker just to replace if faulty?

thanks

oldsomeman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: stuck fuel gauge

Post  JohnW on Sun 30 Aug - 21:05

oldsomeman wrote:This T80 is sure setting me problems
the fuel gauge indicator stays firmly on the half full range even when filled.It dosen't go back to rest when the ignition is switched off.
So....is it more likely to be the tank  sender unit or the gauge in the  speedo area please.
If its the speedo  are they repairable or do you need a new speedo unit as the manual doesnt say.nor indeed suggests a solution to the needle stuck on the indicator.
Just wondering if its the tank  sender unit is it quicker just to replace if faulty?

thanks

Looks like the tank sender unit is faulty, the Haynes manual describes how to test it ie
Connect a multimeter across the terminals setting it to resistance (ohms) x 1 range. The resistance with float raised (full position) should read 2 to 12 ohms & in lowered position (empty) 87.5 to 97.5 ohms. Check that the float is ok & not punctured & that the sender is going to the top of its range. Maybe the arm need bending slightly to make it read correctly.
Obviously you need to remove the sender unit from tank & disconnect it from wiring harness. If the sender is OK then its the gauge faulty, unfortunately this is part of the speedo so you need to replace the whole unit

JohnW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  oldsomeman on Tue 15 Sep - 7:22

Thanks John.I will check this soon and see.i have the manual but it didn't mention the fault .....

oldsomeman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top