Top posting users this month
JohnW
 
prah
 
3hundredspartans
 
barker
 
andrewp
 
adespin
 

Top posting users this week
adespin
 
3hundredspartans
 

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]


Most users ever online was 29 on Tue 30 May - 4:54
Latest topics
» Where Can I Get A Decal
Today at 0:24 by 3hundredspartans

» wind screen
Sun 10 Dec - 7:31 by JohnW

» T80 carb. Mystery spring position. Help needed.
Thu 7 Dec - 23:58 by JohnW

» Another well rusted T80
Thu 7 Dec - 9:06 by JohnW

» Cant believe this passed MoT with no advisorys
Thu 7 Dec - 9:03 by JohnW

» Is this the roughest Townmate ever
Tue 5 Dec - 21:22 by JohnW

» fitting a sat nav
Tue 5 Dec - 9:13 by 3hundredspartans

» Emulsion Tube Removal
Sun 3 Dec - 8:21 by prah

» Speedo Assembly
Mon 27 Nov - 16:42 by 3hundredspartans


PLEASE HELP, MY T80 DOESNT START UP ???

View previous topic View next topic Go down

PLEASE HELP, MY T80 DOESNT START UP ???

Post  JasonBG on Thu 29 Oct - 10:31

Hi my townmate was sitting for 5 months in my garden and the other day I tried to start it up but it was not starting up. I tried few different spark plugs and I tested each of them and they were all working, I mean they were producing spark. There is plenty of petrol in the tank so. Could it be a problem if the battery is DEAD ?? The spark which was coming from the plugs was just not strong enough I think if this is possible. Please someone help me with this one ??
avatar
JasonBG

Posts : 17
Join date : 2014-03-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: PLEASE HELP, MY T80 DOESNT START UP ???

Post  JohnW on Thu 29 Oct - 21:40

JasonBG wrote:Hi my townmate was sitting for 5 months in my garden and the other day I tried to start it up but it was not starting up. I tried few different spark plugs and I tested each of them and they were all working, I mean they were producing spark. There is plenty of petrol in the tank so. Could it be a problem if the battery is DEAD ??  The spark which was coming from the plugs was just not strong enough I think if this is possible. Please someone help me with this one ??

The battery has nothing to do with ignition which comes direct from the flywheel mag. You say you have a spark so it must be fuel.
Is the plug getting wet? If so then its probably stale petrol if as you say its been standing 5 months. You could try a squirt of 'Easy start' down the plug hole or carb. If it then fires up then the petrol will be the problem & needs changing.
If the plug is not getting wet then it looks like the carb may have blocked jets, so needs stripping & cleaning.
Finally I assume it has compression, if not the exhaust valve may be stuck open due to standing.

JohnW

Posts : 1035
Join date : 2011-10-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: PLEASE HELP, MY T80 DOESNT START UP ???

Post  JasonBG on Fri 30 Oct - 0:07

JohnW wrote:
The battery has nothing to do with ignition which comes direct from the flywheel mag. You say you have a spark so it must be fuel.
Is the plug getting wet? If so then its probably stale petrol if as you say its been standing 5 months. You could try a squirt of 'Easy start' down the plug hole or carb. If it then fires up then the petrol will be the problem & needs changing.
If the plug is not getting wet then it looks like the carb may have blocked jets, so needs stripping & cleaning.
Finally I assume it has compression, if not the exhaust valve may be stuck open due to standing.

Thanks JohnW for the info I will definitely try to change the fuel as its being sitting in the bike for really long time. Also since I bought the bike the card was problematic, it was leaking for no reason and it was stalling the bike when it was running. How ever they are really hard to find I mean good carbs. Do you think I can fit a carburetor from another bike on it, as T80s are rear I was thinking maybe to get a carb from c90 or something similar. But I don't know if its going to fit my T80. What do you think ?? THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFO !!
avatar
JasonBG

Posts : 17
Join date : 2014-03-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: PLEASE HELP, MY T80 DOESNT START UP ???

Post  JohnW on Fri 30 Oct - 3:39

JasonBG wrote:
JohnW wrote:
The battery has nothing to do with ignition which comes direct from the flywheel mag. You say you have a spark so it must be fuel.
Is the plug getting wet? If so then its probably stale petrol if as you say its been standing 5 months. You could try a squirt of 'Easy start' down the plug hole or carb. If it then fires up then the petrol will be the problem & needs changing.
If the plug is not getting wet then it looks like the carb may have blocked jets, so needs stripping & cleaning.
Finally I assume it has compression, if not the exhaust valve may be stuck open due to standing.

Thanks JohnW for the info I will definitely try to change the fuel as its being sitting in the bike for really long time. Also since I bought the bike the card was problematic, it was leaking for no reason and it was stalling the bike when it was running. How ever they are really hard to find I mean good carbs. Do you think I can fit a carburetor from another bike on it, as T80s are rear I was thinking maybe to get a carb from c90 or something similar. But I don't know if its going to fit my T80. What do you think ?? THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFO !!

JohnW

Posts : 1035
Join date : 2011-10-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: PLEASE HELP, MY T80 DOESNT START UP ???

Post  JohnW on Fri 30 Oct - 3:41

Yes I suppose a C90 carb would work, you would probably have to make up an adaptor to fit it to manifold & connect to air box. I have no experience of doing that myself, but others may ave. Sorry I cant help any further.


JohnW

Posts : 1035
Join date : 2011-10-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: PLEASE HELP, MY T80 DOESNT START UP ???

Post  barker on Fri 30 Oct - 9:15

mine is a sod to start after a winter lay up, clean plug put clean petrol and keep kicking it over it will fire up in the end try choke

barker

Posts : 462
Join date : 2011-03-25
Location : littlehampton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: PLEASE HELP, MY T80 DOESNT START UP ???

Post  Onthebrakes on Fri 6 Nov - 21:11

If the spark is weak it can be a defective ignition module
Sometimes removing the plug cap holding the lead 1/4" from the head and cranking the engine should produce a big blue spark and can ( from experience) get the module working as it should

Onthebrakes

Posts : 8
Join date : 2015-03-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: PLEASE HELP, MY T80 DOESNT START UP ???

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum