JohnW

adespin

3hundredspartans

prah

barker

mark1982

Top posting users this week

Who is online?
In total there is 0 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 29 on Tue 30 May - 4:54
Latest topics
» Music i like to share
Sat 11 Nov - 18:41 by CRISTIAN 1

» Wheels for t80
Fri 10 Nov - 17:37 by CRISTIAN 1

» t80 Shed find.
Thu 9 Nov - 17:27 by CRISTIAN 1

» Anybody Out There
Sat 28 Oct - 0:04 by CRISTIAN 1

» Piaggio Medley 150 ABS
Fri 20 Oct - 7:29 by JohnW

» 1983 T 80 FOR SALE IRON GREY
Thu 12 Oct - 4:15 by adespin

» 1994 T80 Grey Townmate
Mon 25 Sep - 16:59 by CRISTIAN 1

» Jap Import
Sat 23 Sep - 5:32 by JohnW

» North Coast 500
Sun 27 Aug - 22:01 by Dave Weller

Just acquired a Townmate

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Just acquired a Townmate

Post  andrewp on Fri 20 Nov - 9:51

Hi all
Purchased my first Townmate 14 years ago as my return to motorcycling.  Then discovered I needed a 125cc machine to do my test - had never bothered to take my test when younger as you could ride up to 250ccs on a provisional license.
After about 4 months I traded it in for a Yamaha SR to do my test so I could return to riding my Velocette LE which I had kept since my school days.  Passed my test and got the LE back on the road but realised that it was nowhere near as useful (or reliable) as the Yamaha.  A friend of mine was delighted to buy it off me and very soon I found myself restoring a barn-find Honda CX Eurosport.
Fast forward to today: I now ride a Honda NTV and have two BMW C1s for day to day use.
In recent years I have developed a nostalgia for the Townmate - such a great little machine and I notice they are now really quite scarce.  I was fortunate enough last weekend to spot one being sold locally.  Went to see it last Sunday and agreed a good price.  I am going across this Saturday to collect and ride back.  Might be able to post some pics is due course.
andrewp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Just acquired a Townmate

Post  barker on Sat 21 Nov - 5:39

well done that man they are getting rare don't see to many on the road these days, were are you

barker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  andrewp on Sat 21 Nov - 6:40

Kidderminster, in glorious Worcestershire. Am coming down to Littlehampton Monday evening (but not on the Townmate) if you want to meet up.
andrewp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  barker on Sat 21 Nov - 8:46

that sounds good what time will send you pm

barker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  horobags on Sat 21 Nov - 18:40

welcome. :d\\'-\\':

horobags

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thanks - update

Post  andrewp on Sun 22 Nov - 3:43

Thanks.
Started to clean the bike up. Have got to the rust just in time - all superficial on the underside/inside of the rear mudguard, so wire brushing and will treat with Kurust then Hammerite special metals primer before finishing off with Waxoyle underseal. I have decided to leave the visible paintwork as an "oily rag" restoration, so just clean off loose rust and treat with Kurust. After that it will be regular ACF50 treatments.
andrewp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW on Sun 22 Nov - 5:03

andrewp wrote:Thanks.
Started to clean the bike up.  Have got to the rust just in time - all superficial on the underside/inside of the rear mudguard, so wire brushing and will treat with Kurust then Hammerite special metals primer before finishing off with Waxoyle underseal.  I have decided to leave the visible paintwork as an "oily rag" restoration, so just clean off loose rust and treat with Kurust.  After that it will be regular ACF50 treatments.

Hammerite Smoothrite Blue is a near match for original (if its Blue) so you could touch in the rusty bits with that after treating with Kurust & primer. Also Waxoyle inside the battery/toolbox area

JohnW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  andrewp on Sun 22 Nov - 10:03

Yes, its blue, like my last one. I repainted all of that one with Hammerite blue as it was in such poor condition.
andrewp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top