YAMAHA TOWNMATE T80 FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

Top posting users this week
No user

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 237 on Fri 17 Sep - 12:50
Latest topics
» Swing Arm Bolt Query,,,,, Help !!!!!
Honda or lifan motor ? EmptyThu 29 Feb - 11:22 by Cilldara1

» How does a Recruitment CRM improve collaboration among team members involved in the hiring process?
Honda or lifan motor ? EmptyWed 6 Dec - 5:08 by samsmith

» Hello from Lancashire
Honda or lifan motor ? EmptyFri 20 Oct - 12:19 by fast but dim

» E488RNW in Scotland
Honda or lifan motor ? EmptyThu 12 Oct - 17:42 by JohnW

» New 275 x 17 Heidenau tyres
Honda or lifan motor ? EmptyTue 19 Sep - 14:04 by JohnW

» T80 in H J Pugh Auction 29th September reg No K358XPH
Honda or lifan motor ? EmptyMon 18 Sep - 20:39 by JohnW

» After market front damper warning
Honda or lifan motor ? EmptyWed 13 Sep - 19:38 by JohnW

» Got me foxed
Honda or lifan motor ? EmptyFri 11 Aug - 14:45 by julio745

» Shortage of ignition switches
Honda or lifan motor ? EmptyThu 10 Aug - 20:09 by JohnW

Honda or lifan motor ?

+2
JohnW
RuffStuff
6 posters

Go down

Honda or lifan motor ? Empty Honda or lifan motor ?

Post  RuffStuff Sun 13 Jan - 19:50

Does anybody know if they could be fitted to the yam frame ? Innova, cub or 140 motor. I'm sure I've seen one with an innova swingarm

RuffStuff

Back to top Go down

Honda or lifan motor ? Empty Re: Honda or lifan motor ?

Post  JohnW Sun 13 Jan - 21:23

RuffStuff wrote:Does anybody know if they could be fitted to the yam frame ? Innova, cub or 140 motor. I'm sure I've seen one with an innova swingarm
None of these will fit as apart from differences in mountings they are CHAIN drive

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  RuffStuff Sun 13 Jan - 22:28

That's why I said I'd seen 1 with the innova swingarm. Can't find it so don't know which motor they put in and none of my mates have them so can't compare

RuffStuff

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Mon 14 Jan - 8:25

RuffStuff wrote:That's why I said I'd seen 1 with the innova swingarm. Can't find it so don't know which motor they put in and none of my mates have them so can't compare

Why change the engine to a chain drive one, the good thing about the T80 is the from shaft drive. Seems to me you should have bought an Innova in the first place!!!!!
Further more, major modifications such as this have to be notified to DVLA, who may then require a single vehicle approval  (a nightmare of paperwork and regulations to be complied with) and a subsequent 'Q' plate. There is also the further issue of insurance, your insurance company may not insure it, or at best charge a high premium,

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  RuffStuff Mon 14 Jan - 21:54

I asked cos it's a less known model, c90s everyone knows everything about, t80 not so much.
Just thought as my frames solid if i blew the motor what options are there, like I said, I stumbled on 1 with an innova arm but no mention of the motor used.
I got it because of it having a shaft drive

RuffStuff

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Mon 14 Jan - 22:09

RuffStuff wrote:I asked cos it's a less known model, c90s everyone knows everything about, t80 not so much.
Just thought as my frames solid if i blew the motor what options are there, like I said, I stumbled on 1 with an innova arm but no mention of the motor used.
I got it because of it having a shaft drive

The option is that if you do blow the motor (very unlikely if you maintain and change oil regularly every 1500 miles, as they are virtually bomb proof) is to buy a replacement T80 engine, there are usually some on eBay and at around £75 cheap compared with some bike engines these days.

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  barker Tue 15 Jan - 9:00

yamaha made a chain drive t80 look alike as a 2 strock may be this is what you saw

barker

Back to top Go down

Post  RuffStuff Tue 15 Jan - 10:51

No it was definitely an 80 converted, I read the page I found it on but never thought to save it, all i can remember was it used an innova swinger.

RuffStuff

Back to top Go down

Post  Duckrider Tue 15 Jan - 15:21

Although I can not understand the idea of this conversion, perhaps because I can not figure out why to do something built for a particular job to do a different job, since i can buy the second one from the beginning.

I believe that running at high speeds or putting a stronger engine in a frame made up of a tube is dangerous. Very Happy

Any way here's a video of a conversion, notice at 1.58 that the middle drive gear has been changed with a classic sprocket .
Several owners do this in my own country because the chain drive transmission has more efficiency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-io6iSNrA1c

Here with different engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0dKWkXKRoI
Duckrider
Duckrider

Back to top Go down

Post  RuffStuff Tue 15 Jan - 18:21

I knew I'd seen them, obviously needs welding etc.
It was the swingarm that interested me incase my shaft went knackered. My bikes an 85 and I don't think its been looked after that well.

RuffStuff

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Tue 15 Jan - 21:04

Frankly I dont see the point of all that work, if you want a faster bike buy one made for the purpose. It would be sacrilege to mess up an original Townmate as they are becoming rare and someone out there could restore it.
No offence to you RuffStuff but I think you clearly have bought the wrong bike, and would be advised to sell the T80 and by another bike that would more suit your purpose.

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  RuffStuff Tue 15 Jan - 22:38

I'm just wondering what's possible, also should it pop etc in the future.
I got it to go slow, it's down on power and speed from what others say and not just on here.
I believe it was the green one posted above that I saw, I couldn't find it again so thought I'd pose the question on here.
I just like to be informed about the bikes I own, as I said there isn't a huge amount of info for t80s.
I got the bike I wanted, I hate chains, mine just needs a little work but t I always like to have a backup plan

RuffStuff

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Wed 16 Jan - 8:55

RuffStuff wrote:I'm just wondering what's possible, also should it pop etc in the future.
I got it to go slow, it's down on power and speed from what others say and not just on here.
I believe it was the green one posted above that I saw, I couldn't find it again so thought I'd pose the question on here.
I just like to be informed about the bikes I own, as I said there isn't a huge amount of info for t80s.
I got the bike I wanted, I hate chains, mine just needs a little work but t I always like to have a backup plan

Your back up plan should include obtaining a few vital parts whilst they are still around at reasonable prices.
ie spare engine/gearbox unit, rear drive unit, front suspension units (no longer available new and no suitable pattern parts), and maybe body parts like leg shields, and head light unit & switches.
These come up regularly on eBay, there are some leg shields on there now. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-townmate-legshield/323649571207?hash=item4b5b048987:g:6u4AAOSwADxcFlZy:rk:1🇵🇫1&frcectupt=true

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  Duckrider Thu 17 Jan - 15:20

Maybe it is better to use a swingarm from V50 , it is almost the same with the one from our motorbike but with chain drive:

Honda or lifan motor ? 19549760_0_b

You can see more photos here: https://motostratos.car.gr/parts/view/19549760/

Ιt is understood that you will also use a ρεαρ wheel from V50.
Duckrider
Duckrider

Back to top Go down

Honda or lifan motor ? Empty re Honda or Lifan motor

Post  andrewp Tue 16 Jul - 17:28

Just noticed this topic. Simplest thing is to get a Yamaha Raptor 80 motor as fitted to the quad bikes. Also 80ccs, shaft drive, etc. Not quite sure about the gearing but I would have thought you could transfer the gearbox innards.
andrewp
andrewp

Back to top Go down

Honda or lifan motor ? Empty T80 Gymnastics?

Post  steve9e Fri 26 Jul - 9:05

hi, Very Happy
Why other than making something quite unique and probably very satisfying as an engineering excecise would you want to do It ?
if you want to go faster buy a diferent bike, there are plenty around.
If the only motivation is to worry about the T80 engine breaking down what is the sense of introducing something quite special and possibly of dubious engineering quality rather than fix a simple T80) unit????
I congratulate the guys who built the specials in Greece for their effort but?

cheers

Steve :d\\'-\\':

steve9e

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 12 Sep - 16:13

Personally, I think it a little unwise to encourage what sounds very much like a 'go-faster teenager' who will probably quite shortly move on to a go-faster Vauxhall Corsa or similar, to acquire a stock of Yamaha spares now in short supply and increasing in price that enthusiasts now or in the future may need.
Perhaps I am missing something with today's youth, but when I was young I and anyone I knew that was interested in bikes, would not be seen dead with or anywhere near a step-thru bike of any description. The only people who appeared to ride them (usually C70's) were old guys going to work and the bike was unwashed, apparently unserviced and probably now for sale on Ebay at an inflated price as a rare original 'collectors item' !

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down