YAMAHA TOWNMATE T80 FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
Mark1
New tyre......  Vote_lcapNew tyre......  Voting_barNew tyre......  Vote_rcap 
JohnW
New tyre......  Vote_lcapNew tyre......  Voting_barNew tyre......  Vote_rcap 

Top posting users this week
No user

Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 237 on Fri 17 Sep - 12:50
Latest topics
» Replacement front shocks for T50 & T80
New tyre......  EmptyThu 18 Apr - 21:00 by Mark1

» West Country Newbie
New tyre......  EmptyThu 18 Apr - 20:55 by Mark1

» Swing Arm Bolt Query,,,,, Help !!!!!
New tyre......  EmptyThu 29 Feb - 11:22 by Cilldara1

» How does a Recruitment CRM improve collaboration among team members involved in the hiring process?
New tyre......  EmptyWed 6 Dec - 5:08 by samsmith

» Hello from Lancashire
New tyre......  EmptyFri 20 Oct - 12:19 by fast but dim

» E488RNW in Scotland
New tyre......  EmptyThu 12 Oct - 17:42 by JohnW

» New 275 x 17 Heidenau tyres
New tyre......  EmptyTue 19 Sep - 14:04 by JohnW

» T80 in H J Pugh Auction 29th September reg No K358XPH
New tyre......  EmptyMon 18 Sep - 20:39 by JohnW

» After market front damper warning
New tyre......  EmptyWed 13 Sep - 19:38 by JohnW

New tyre......

4 posters

Go down

New tyre......  Empty New tyre......

Post  JohnW Sun 24 Mar - 8:21

Just bought a new tyre for front wheel, a Heidenau made in Germany from https://www.motorcycleproducts.co.uk/tyre-yamaha-t80-townmate-1983-97-front-p-493634.html at a reasonable £23.16 plus £3.95 delivery. Looks a very good tyre with plenty of tread. They are suitable for front and rear.

JohnW

Back to top Go down

New tyre......  Empty new Tyre

Post  steve9e Wed 29 May - 10:22

hi JW :d\\'-\\':

My Honda CD200 takes 3.00 x 17 tyres and recently I bought a replacement which was the usual Maxxis ( Chen Shen) manufacture.
These tyres are OK and I have used them on a number of lightweights ,quite light duty and very flexible. Has anyone tried to fit one onto a T80 rim?

Looking at rim size/ tyre lists it seems possible just, but I have not done it yet.
The Honda rim is 10 mm wider measuring externally, not the well dimension. The well depth may be the critical measurement?

As an aside the guy (Ed March) who trots the globe on his C90 seems to have wider tyres fitted on the standard rims Surprised

Steve

steve9e

Back to top Go down

New tyre......  Empty Re: New tyre......

Post  JohnW Thu 30 May - 19:17

Thing is you can alter gearing on a C90 by chainging sprockets, but not on Townmate, so a 3.00 tyre will up the gearing from rear drive. Yes you could fit the lower ratio rear drive unit from a T50 on an 80 if you can find one. The rim also needs to be wider for a 3.00 tyre.
I find the T80 with correct 2.50 tyre is at the ultimate gearing. Any higher ad it will struggle in head wind or up hills.

JohnW

Back to top Go down

New tyre......  Empty Tyre size

Post  steve9e Thu 30 May - 19:46

Hi JW, :d\\'-\\':

Sorry I am not with you? I am only asking if has anyone tried to fit a 3.00 x 17 tyre to a Townmate rim. I will eventually try it as I have a couple of new 3.00 x17 tyres in my workshop.
Sure the diameters of the inflated tyres are slightly different but I realise that ( about 3/4 ") meaning that the odometer will read slow or less, and the gearing will be slightly higher.
it's just a thought because I have some 3.00 tyres , I cannot see gearing being a problem. My bike has a slightly higher rear crownwheel arrangement and the bike takes our steep hills in it's stride anyway.
It would be nice thought to have the Honda and the Yamaha fitted with the same tyres Very Happy
Just something to think about really.

steve9e

Back to top Go down

Post  barker Thu 30 May - 21:05

let us know how it turns out as im intrested

barker

Back to top Go down

New tyre......  Empty Tyre size

Post  steve9e Fri 31 May - 14:56

hi Guys :d\\'-\\':

May be the idea of fitting 3.00 x 17 tyres on the T80 original rims might sound attractive BUT, I have managed to get the dimensions for the T80 rims which are 1.40 x 17, however the correct size for a 3.00 " tyre is 1.60 x 17. this checks with my external measurements on both sizes i.e the T80 rim is 10mm per side narrower.
I would not try and fit any tyre bigger than 2,75 ( 2.50 being standard) This point has been covered before on the forum. Rolling Eyes

Such is life.

steve   Very Happy

steve9e

Back to top Go down

Post  donrick Fri 16 Aug - 3:03

Any feedback regarding the road performance of your Heidenau tires? I will order some new motorcycle parts for my bike and that includes a new set of tires. Have no complaints with my current Metzelers though I'm thinking of buying a different brand.

donrick

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Mon 19 Aug - 8:46

donrick wrote:Any feedback regarding the road performance of your Heidenau tires? I will order some new motorcycle parts for my bike and that includes a new set of tires. Have no complaints with my current Metzelers though I'm thinking of buying a different brand.

No problem with the Heidenau tyre a bought from Motor Cycle Products. Just ordered another one from them, top firm to deal with, good prices and quick service

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  donrick Fri 23 Aug - 2:04

JohnW wrote:

No problem with the Heidenau tyre a bought from Motor Cycle Products. Just ordered another one from them, top firm to deal with, good prices and quick service

Great. Thanks! :d\\'-\\':

donrick

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down