YAMAHA TOWNMATE T80 FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

Top posting users this week
No user

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 237 on Fri 17 Sep - 12:50
Latest topics
» Replacement front shocks for T50 & T80
The T80 project has arrived! EmptyThu 18 Apr - 21:00 by Mark1

» West Country Newbie
The T80 project has arrived! EmptyThu 18 Apr - 20:55 by Mark1

» Swing Arm Bolt Query,,,,, Help !!!!!
The T80 project has arrived! EmptyThu 29 Feb - 11:22 by Cilldara1

» How does a Recruitment CRM improve collaboration among team members involved in the hiring process?
The T80 project has arrived! EmptyWed 6 Dec - 5:08 by samsmith

» Hello from Lancashire
The T80 project has arrived! EmptyFri 20 Oct - 12:19 by fast but dim

» E488RNW in Scotland
The T80 project has arrived! EmptyThu 12 Oct - 17:42 by JohnW

» New 275 x 17 Heidenau tyres
The T80 project has arrived! EmptyTue 19 Sep - 14:04 by JohnW

» T80 in H J Pugh Auction 29th September reg No K358XPH
The T80 project has arrived! EmptyMon 18 Sep - 20:39 by JohnW

» After market front damper warning
The T80 project has arrived! EmptyWed 13 Sep - 19:38 by JohnW

The T80 project has arrived!

Go down

The T80 project has arrived! Empty The T80 project has arrived!

Post  Guest Fri 30 Aug - 16:56

My latest Ebay purchase has arrived today. A 1986, one owner T80, last used in 1996 judging by DVLA's road tax record! 16000 showing on the odometer. I'm not sure if that would be miles or KM on a UK bike, perhaps you would know? On a quick inspection, for a reasonably-priced project it looks pretty sound, surprisingly well-made and robust, with no oil leaks on engine and transmission although I've not yet tried to start it until I do a few more checks, charge the battery and get some fresh fuel. None of the nuts and bolts look chewed-up or abused which I think and hope is a good sign.
There's some surface rust of course but nothing too serious with most paintwork intact and all original. The chrome is pretty good overall with just the rear wheel-rim quite pitted, although the spokes look OK on both wheels. The saddle is really excellent with original cover and no tears or rips and all the plastics on the bike seem good, the legshields in particular look particularly robust and designed to flex rather than crack.

Going around the bike with spanners this afternoon, the wheels look true and spin freely with no stiffness or looseness, same for the front fork and rear swinging-arm, at least on a first quick inspection. I hope to get a chance at the weekend to give it a thorough wash and brush-up and get it running. A Haynes manual is now on order from Amazon and pictures of the bike will follow!

Back to top Go down

The T80 project has arrived! Empty Re: The T80 project has arrived!

Post  JohnW Sat 31 Aug - 22:22

Speedo odometer reading will be in miles

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 1 Sep - 8:30

Thanks John!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 1 Sep - 12:28

So, with a newly charged battery and a litre of fuel in the tank, the little T80 sprung into life on the second kick this morning!  Full choke for just a few seconds only, then it settled down to a steady tickover with a surprisingly throaty exhaust sound, probably due to less restrictive emission regulations on a motorcycle of this age.  
Obviously, I had to take it for a little spin and after checking the brakes were OK  (new shoes will be needed soon), set off just briefly around our estate.  The sound and perkiness of the engine was rather pleasing, really quite responsive for such a small four-stroke engine and I found the gearchange was much less jerky than my modern Cub.  The gearshift lever was also nicer to use, physically smaller and much less obtrusive on the footpeg - the one on the Cub seems huge and clumsy by comparison.  I may have to seek out a spare!
All electrics worked fine with the feeble 6V lighting just as expected and remembered of small bikes from my youth.  No extended night journeys on this one I think.  The 12V Cub is streets ahead in this department.
Looking at the underside of the rear mudguard etc the rust there, although not too serious will need at least cosmetic attention before I chance an MoT with it.  I'm sure I have a tin of blue Hammerite somewhere in the garage.  Other than that it all looks pretty sound and as you can no doubt tell I'm very pleased with the purchase!

I ordered the Haynes manual from Amazon (MyMotoParts £12 post free) on Friday and it arrived factory shrink-wrapped on Saturday, which is quite impressive.  Of the many Haynes manuals I've purchased over the years this has to be though the slimmest edition, I guess due to the few design changes and relatively short production run of the Townmate.  Essential reading nevertheless.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down