YAMAHA TOWNMATE T80 FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
Mark1
Halogen Headlamp bulb Vote_lcapHalogen Headlamp bulb Voting_barHalogen Headlamp bulb Vote_rcap 
JohnW
Halogen Headlamp bulb Vote_lcapHalogen Headlamp bulb Voting_barHalogen Headlamp bulb Vote_rcap 

Top posting users this week
No user

Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 237 on Fri 17 Sep - 12:50
Latest topics
» Replacement front shocks for T50 & T80
Halogen Headlamp bulb EmptyThu 18 Apr - 21:00 by Mark1

» West Country Newbie
Halogen Headlamp bulb EmptyThu 18 Apr - 20:55 by Mark1

» Swing Arm Bolt Query,,,,, Help !!!!!
Halogen Headlamp bulb EmptyThu 29 Feb - 11:22 by Cilldara1

» How does a Recruitment CRM improve collaboration among team members involved in the hiring process?
Halogen Headlamp bulb EmptyWed 6 Dec - 5:08 by samsmith

» Hello from Lancashire
Halogen Headlamp bulb EmptyFri 20 Oct - 12:19 by fast but dim

» E488RNW in Scotland
Halogen Headlamp bulb EmptyThu 12 Oct - 17:42 by JohnW

» New 275 x 17 Heidenau tyres
Halogen Headlamp bulb EmptyTue 19 Sep - 14:04 by JohnW

» T80 in H J Pugh Auction 29th September reg No K358XPH
Halogen Headlamp bulb EmptyMon 18 Sep - 20:39 by JohnW

» After market front damper warning
Halogen Headlamp bulb EmptyWed 13 Sep - 19:38 by JohnW

Halogen Headlamp bulb

3 posters

Go down

Halogen Headlamp bulb Empty Halogen Headlamp bulb

Post  JohnW Sat 12 Jan - 23:31

Has anyone fitted one of these 6v 25/25 watt halogen head light bulbs to their T80? If so they worth the extra money?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-VOLT-MPF-T15-HEAD-LIGHT-BULB-25-25-WATT-3625H-HALOGEN-/310327599360?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4840f76100

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Halogen Headlamp bulb Empty Re: Halogen Headlamp bulb

Post  JohnW Fri 18 Jan - 12:36

Have bought 3 off eBay for £10 inc p&p about as cheap as they get, some eBay shops have them at around £8 EACH plus p&p. Have fitted one & initailly it does not seem much brighter in daylight than the normal tungstone ones, will have to wait for a trip in the dark to see if they are any brighter. Any extra brightness will be an improvement.

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin drgaz Fri 18 Jan - 20:06

Keep us posted on that John I fitted a 6v one to the norton not had a chance to use it yet.
Admin drgaz
Admin drgaz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Fri 18 Jan - 21:29

I tried some like those last year, they were Chinese in origin. Initially they seemed a little brighter than standard but after a couple of months the glass started to distort next to the dip fillament so I chucked it before it burst. Sorry but not recommended. No
Doug.
Doug
Doug

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Sat 19 Jan - 17:37

The ones I got were packaged Motoline but look to be Chinese made (I think almost all bulbs are made in China these days), as Doug says they appear to be a brighter, tried one out in the dark last night in the drive & the light output definitly seemed better but as Doug says they may deteriorate (but so do the tungsten ones after a time), will have to wait & see. At least I did not pay over the ods for them, unlike the 30/30 watt ones which Paul Goff is selling at an extortionate £13.50 each, and would be Chinese made as well I expect. One thing I did notice is that the light intensity seems to have more of a cut off as the revs drop, but this may be because of the higher light output. I think they would work better on a battery system rather than the direct AC system on the Townmate which peaks at 5.5 volt.

Last edited by JohnW on Fri 25 Jan - 14:32; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed wording as I found out current for headlight is AC not DC as previously stated)

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Halogen Headlamp bulb Empty Halogen bulb

Post  JohnW Thu 24 Jan - 15:25

I think I have to agree with Doug, the Halogen bulb does not appear much brighter than the standard one, glad I did not pay silly money.
Also whilst dip beam seems ok (about same as tungsten bulb) the main beam seems a bit vague.
I think maybe the problem why it is not brighter is because the output from the generator is only 5.5 volt max (I measured it with a meter), presumably set at this so as to avoid bulbs blowing.
I would be interested to see what voltage other owners have on their bikes. Note its only the AC direct current, not the DC charging side at battery

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Halogen Headlamp bulb Empty Halogen bulbs

Post  JohnW Fri 1 Feb - 19:19

Having now used my Halogen bulb for about 10 hours (I always have dipped headlamp on) the bulb has started to blacken & the light output no better than the original tungsten bulb. I would therefore NOT recomend their use in the Townmate, especially the Motoline branded ones.

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin drgaz Fri 1 Feb - 20:06

Thanks for the update John, could this be just a cheap bulb? thats at fault?
Admin drgaz
Admin drgaz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Fri 1 Feb - 21:56

Admin drgaz wrote:Thanks for the update John, could this be just a cheap bulb? thats at fault?
Maybe but I bought three & they all seem about the same.

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin drgaz Sat 2 Feb - 8:19

can we not fit a higher 6v wattage bulb, I find that a lot of these cheap house hold bulbs also don't last half as long.not as well made as they use to be.
Admin drgaz
Admin drgaz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Sun 3 Feb - 20:54

Admin drgaz wrote:can we not fit a higher 6v wattage bulb, I find that a lot of these cheap house hold bulbs also don't last half as long.not as well made as they use to be.

No, the generator output is insufficient & in any case I dont think a higher wattage bulb is available in the correct fitting, although Paul Goff does a 30/30 watt halogen one for about £13 plus postage, an expensive excercise if it does not work & the amount of difference (5w) would be minimal.

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin drgaz Sun 3 Feb - 23:22

what if you went LED on all the other bulbs that would allow for a higher wattage head lamp bulb?
Admin drgaz
Admin drgaz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Halogen Headlamp bulb Empty LED spot light details added

Post  JohnW Mon 4 Feb - 7:04

Admin drgaz wrote:what if you went LED on all the other bulbs that would allow for a higher wattage head lamp bulb?

I suppose so, but is it worth it for such a small increase in headlamp brightnes, if it works. That is if you can find a suitable LED tail/stop bulb which again will be expensive. Unless you ride alot at night its not worth doing. A better idea would be to fit a high intensity LED spot light if you can find one that will operate on 6 volt. Some of the better cycle ones may be suitable but they run on a lower voltage usually 4.5 volts with Duracell type batteries. If you could find a 6volt one it could be powered off the Townmate battery due to low consumption

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Halogen Headlamp bulb Empty Halogen bulbs not suitable for Townmate

Post  JohnW Thu 21 Feb - 15:45

Not had a lot of luck with my halogen bulb, one has now blown a filament after only 30 hours use, had following reply from the supplier, it looks as though they are not suitable for the direct 6v AC (variable voltage) system used on the Townmate.

Halogen bulbs work differently and need a constant power unlike normal incandescent/tungsten, the standard operating temperature needed on the bulb wall to maintain a halogen cycle is 250C. When the temperature falls below this level the halogen cycle fails, and the lamp starts to act like a standard incandescent. It is estimated that the cycle fails when a lamp is operated below 80-90% of its rated power, and the effectiveness of the halogen cycle to keep the lamp walls clean and give longer life will be much affected. This cycle depends upon correct lamp voltage and operating temperatures, which of course will be changed when the lamp is under powered, hence the halogen cycle can be interrupted and if the voltage and temperature of the lamp is operated too low this results in lamp blackening.

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down