» Jap Import
Sat 23 Sep - 5:32 by JohnW

» North Coast 500
Sun 27 Aug - 22:01 by Dave Weller

newbie from south wales

View previous topic View next topic Go down

newbie from south wales

Post  adygolding on Thu 12 Sep - 0:23

hi all, having owned quite a few bikes over the last 20 years or so decided to get a cheap runaround to get back and fore work.
I have a 59 plate rsvr 1000 and an 07 husky wr 250 2 stroke that have both done around 200 miles total in the last 18 mths !!.

Was looking for the old C90 and then remembered a mate of mine back in the college days had a townie 80 so opened up my search and luckily found one on ebay within 10 miles of the house. Agreed a deal of £250 with the guy and picked it up last night and rode it home.

I can honestly say it is the most fun i have had riding a bike since the days of my 125's (Rd, RGV and KMX ).

My initial intention was to just do a light service, brake shoes, cables, oil/ plug change, check electrical connections and just use it as a runner however this never happens.

I am probably going to get it all stripped down by the weekend and then off to sandblasting and repaint.

Having a quick look last night, the obvious areas of concern are the the indicator mount has corroded, spares seem hard to find, may have to repair, also the swing arm bushes are shot, finding it really hard to source these, searched google and ebay but nothing coming up so any help much appreciated.

Also probably going to want decals too, anyone making these??

A  nice little forum going on here, hoping to post some pics soon !

adygolding

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: newbie from south wales

Post  JohnW on Thu 12 Sep - 2:01

A J Sutton do the s/arm bushes http://www.yamahascooterspares.co.uk/genuineparts/9063/17/yamaha%20t80%20townmate/frame?uid=0 or you could try Robush (it would be a VP bush, you can down load a catalogue) http://www.robush.co.uk/products/trelleborg_range/default.cfm they will need the size. Perhaps you could let us know the size when you have measued one of the old ones.
If its a rear indicator bracket you want I can do you one for £8 including p&p as pic, but as these dont usually corrode I assume its the mounting on the frame thts gone, I think you will find a lot more 'tin worm workings' after shot blasting so I think some welding will be the order of the day. Replacement main frames are available from A J Sutton but you will need to take out a second mortgage to buy one.
" />

JohnW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top