» Jap Import
Sat 23 Sep - 5:32 by JohnW

» North Coast 500
Sun 27 Aug - 22:01 by Dave Weller

Rust on Back of Bike...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rust on Back of Bike...

Post  fender on Wed 8 Jan - 6:30

I successfully dealt with the hole under the mudguard on my Yamaha Townmate and don't foresee it rusting anytime again for a long time with all the coatings I put under there and filled the hole.

I then noticed, much more worryingly, rust forming around the shock absorber mounts which, over time would be a certain MOT failure. Fortunately the rust was only surface and got it all out and primed coated all over them. The aim is to tidy up this mudguard and get it looking clean and tidy.

This Townmate has rust in a typical spot; where the main mudguard seems to overlap a second section to which the tail light/numberplate is mounted. Took these shots today to illustrate.

Rust has not gone deep but has made to shallow rust indentations into metal. I have used a wire brush and small screwdrivers to get out the rust you see and now need to look at filling these. As these are not big or deep holes, what should I fill them with?

fender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rust on Back of Bike...

Post  Admin drgaz on Wed 8 Jan - 8:09

In the old days we would melt lead bar fill the holes and sand it down you could do the the same with brazing rod,bit overkill car body filler is all I can think of now.
Admin drgaz
Admin

View user profile http://www.minigallery.co.uk/Anne_Twist/      http://bazzarpixie

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW on Wed 8 Jan - 22:47

Admin drgaz wrote:In the old days we would melt lead bar fill the holes and sand it down you could do the the same with brazing rod,bit overkill car body filler is all I can think of now.

I have the same problem on my bike, it is caused by reinforcing bracket on the underside of mudguard which traps moisture. Only real answer is to completly strip the bike, have it all shot blasted & then welded brazed & repainted. I just keep it at bay as Admin drgax says with periodic rubbing down, bit of filler or plastic metal & re hand paint with Smoothrite.

JohnW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top