YAMAHA TOWNMATE T80 FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
Mark1
Seized Swing Arm Bolt Vote_lcapSeized Swing Arm Bolt Voting_barSeized Swing Arm Bolt Vote_rcap 
JohnW
Seized Swing Arm Bolt Vote_lcapSeized Swing Arm Bolt Voting_barSeized Swing Arm Bolt Vote_rcap 

Top posting users this week
No user

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 237 on Fri 17 Sep - 12:50
Latest topics
» Replacement front shocks for T50 & T80
Seized Swing Arm Bolt EmptyThu 18 Apr - 21:00 by Mark1

» West Country Newbie
Seized Swing Arm Bolt EmptyThu 18 Apr - 20:55 by Mark1

» Swing Arm Bolt Query,,,,, Help !!!!!
Seized Swing Arm Bolt EmptyThu 29 Feb - 11:22 by Cilldara1

» How does a Recruitment CRM improve collaboration among team members involved in the hiring process?
Seized Swing Arm Bolt EmptyWed 6 Dec - 5:08 by samsmith

» Hello from Lancashire
Seized Swing Arm Bolt EmptyFri 20 Oct - 12:19 by fast but dim

» E488RNW in Scotland
Seized Swing Arm Bolt EmptyThu 12 Oct - 17:42 by JohnW

» New 275 x 17 Heidenau tyres
Seized Swing Arm Bolt EmptyTue 19 Sep - 14:04 by JohnW

» T80 in H J Pugh Auction 29th September reg No K358XPH
Seized Swing Arm Bolt EmptyMon 18 Sep - 20:39 by JohnW

» After market front damper warning
Seized Swing Arm Bolt EmptyWed 13 Sep - 19:38 by JohnW

Seized Swing Arm Bolt

4 posters

Go down

Seized Swing Arm Bolt Empty Seized Swing Arm Bolt

Post  adespin Sat 28 Jan - 17:20

Strip down nearly compleated for the refurb, but the swing arm bolt is seized solid, 17mm socket with long leverage just started to round the head, so hammered on an old 16mm socket again with long pole leverage and the socket split. So going to try a blow lamp next on the frame and swing arm. My question is: are the bushes in the frame made of steel or plastic ? If they are plastic they would probably be destroyed with heat.
adespin
adespin

Back to top Go down

Seized Swing Arm Bolt Empty Re: Seized Swing Arm Bolt

Post  adespin Mon 30 Jan - 0:57

C'mon guys and gals, anybody have an answer to my question: are the swing arm bushes made of plastic or steel ?
adespin
adespin

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Mon 30 Jan - 9:41

The bushes in the frame are rubber/steel composite 'metalastic'. so heat will destroy them.
This is a common problem with s/arm spindles on the Townmate. My current one is siezed but I just leave it as I have no reason to remove it.
On a previous bike the s/arm rusted through & needed to be replaced anyway so I cut it through on both sides. You can then unscrew the remaining piece on drive side & drift out the spindle c/w RH bush. It was only the RH bush that was seized & that came out of frame with spindle whilst the LH bush (which was not seized) remained in frame. If both bushes are seized then you really have trouble as the bushes press in up to a shoulder & have to come outwards. Problem with burning out the bushes is that you will still have the outers pressed in frame which will be difficult to remove, also unless you cut & destroy the s/arm you still cant get spindle out.
I managed to salvage the seized bush by drilling out the remains of spindle (a long labourious process with a hand electric drill), would be easier in a lathe. Best to fit new bushes if you can still buy them, I think A J Sutton do them
Best of luck.
PS. One method you could try is to weld a threaded stud to the hex head of spindle & than with a spacer tube over the hexagon put a large washer & the nut over end & try to extract it that way. I would think you would need at least a 8mm or 10mm stud. You will need to hacksaw through the threaded RH end of spindle, the remaining bit of thread in swinging arm should be easy to remove as its usually oily.

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  adespin Mon 30 Jan - 12:29

Thanks for the detailed reply John, so what your saying is the spindle is seized to the inner sleeve of the bush or bushes, and applying heat will make no difference as the heat will not transfer through the rubber part of the bush and will end up destroying the rubber. I wrongly assumed that it was the threaded part that was seized. So it looks like my best option is to leave the swinging arm in place and work around it with the refurb.
adespin
adespin

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Mon 30 Jan - 15:08

adespin wrote:Thanks for the detailed reply John, so what your saying is the spindle is seized to the inner sleeve of the bush or bushes, and applying heat will make no difference as the heat will not transfer through the rubber part of the bush and will end up destroying the rubber. I wrongly assumed that it was the threaded part that was seized. So it looks like my best option is to leave the swinging arm in place and work around it with the refurb.

Correct its the inner sleeve of bush that's seized, not the thread, unless the s/arm needs replacing best to leave it as it is.

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  barker Thu 16 Feb - 20:13

hows your problem bolt coming along

barker

Back to top Go down

Post  barker Thu 16 Feb - 20:17

checked mine today came out easily then I remembered 4 years ago I took the rear wheel out to underseal the mudguard and grease up the centre stand so I must have sorted it out then

barker

Back to top Go down

Post  barker Thu 16 Feb - 20:24

one way that may work if your not in a rush ,its worked on my old Landover place a socket on said nut then put a 6 foot scaffold pole on the bar tie a bucket on the end so its hanging in mid air fill with water then leave it for aweek
the theory is a steady pressure over time will loosen said bolt

barker

Back to top Go down

Post  adespin Thu 16 Feb - 23:00

I like the idea but the problem is the rubber between the two sleeves of the bush is twisting under torsion, if it was a solid metal bush it might work, or i could apply heat and expand the metal. As it is i am now leaving the swinging arm in place and working around it as JohnW suggested, It's much harder getting at the rust but i'm out of options.
adespin
adespin

Back to top Go down

Post  barker Fri 17 Feb - 9:16

with out laying the bike on its side there is no real way to administer any steady easing fluid,
my grand dad tells me that in the war , ..according to him there has only been two..them yanks would pour coke over a stubborn bolt and leave it over nite
have you given any thought to getting hold of a spare swinging arm
keep us informed as to your progress

barker

Back to top Go down

Post  barker Thu 9 Mar - 19:01

well you have had a couple of weeks to sort out your swinging arm bolt , so what happening Laughing

barker

Back to top Go down

Post  adespin Thu 9 Mar - 19:48

The bolt is a bit like Stonehenge, it's there forever, i'm working around it. The frame has been shotblasted and now in primer ready for topcoat.
adespin
adespin

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Thu 19 Mar - 18:07

Just revisiting this thread. One thing you need to take into account with a seized spindle is that it then often then causes the swinging arm to pivot on the spindle if the clamping force is insufficient to clamp the swinging arm to the bush inners. That means the the swinging arm is then making a metal to metal contact with the spindle both on the right hand side and the threaded portion. This can cause wear which will result in swinging arm sideways movement. A blob of weld between the hex head of bolt and the swinging arm will stop this and make the rubber buses take the movement as intended.
Make sure though that the weld is to the steel insert in the swinging arm and not the thin pressed steel main assembly.

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  3hundredspartans Mon 23 Mar - 11:10

Here is a close up of mine that is still in the frame.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f97/17/79/03/86/img_5410.jpg

3hundredspartans

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Mon 23 Mar - 16:39

3hundredspartans wrote:Here is a close up of mine that is still in the frame.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f97/17/79/03/86/img_5410.jpg

You are lucky that the spindle has not sized in the bush, make sure the spindle is well greased when replacing, or better still make up or get made a stainless steel spindle These are 12mm dia x 180mm long, and the thread M12 fine (1.25 pitch) Not the normal M12 which is 1.75 course pitch.

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  3hundredspartans Wed 25 Mar - 12:44

Exactly John, from what others have experienced I was very lucky that it didn't take much to remove the spindle. I have new bushes to replace the old ones with but a stainless steel spindle sounds like the way to go. :d\\'-\\':

3hundredspartans

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down