YAMAHA TOWNMATE T80 FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

Top posting users this week
No user

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 237 on Fri 17 Sep - 12:50
Latest topics
» Replacement front shocks for T50 & T80
Townmate T80 cold idling problem EmptyThu 18 Apr - 21:00 by Mark1

» West Country Newbie
Townmate T80 cold idling problem EmptyThu 18 Apr - 20:55 by Mark1

» Swing Arm Bolt Query,,,,, Help !!!!!
Townmate T80 cold idling problem EmptyThu 29 Feb - 11:22 by Cilldara1

» How does a Recruitment CRM improve collaboration among team members involved in the hiring process?
Townmate T80 cold idling problem EmptyWed 6 Dec - 5:08 by samsmith

» Hello from Lancashire
Townmate T80 cold idling problem EmptyFri 20 Oct - 12:19 by fast but dim

» E488RNW in Scotland
Townmate T80 cold idling problem EmptyThu 12 Oct - 17:42 by JohnW

» New 275 x 17 Heidenau tyres
Townmate T80 cold idling problem EmptyTue 19 Sep - 14:04 by JohnW

» T80 in H J Pugh Auction 29th September reg No K358XPH
Townmate T80 cold idling problem EmptyMon 18 Sep - 20:39 by JohnW

» After market front damper warning
Townmate T80 cold idling problem EmptyWed 13 Sep - 19:38 by JohnW

Townmate T80 cold idling problem

2 posters

Go down

Townmate T80 cold idling problem Empty Townmate T80 cold idling problem

Post  M-Saveloy Wed 29 May - 21:20

Hello hello,

As I mentioned in my last question, I've got an old T80 which I'm fettling back onto the road at the moment. I hope you don't mind me clogging up the board with a few questions! This question is about (lack of) idling when cold.

Happily, the bike starts quite easily, even from dead cold.

When the engine is still cold it runs and revs fine, but cuts out as soon as it drops to idle. Pulling on the choke makes it worse. Screwing what I believe to be the throttle stop (X-head screw the left of the carb) a few turns inwards helps a lot though, and it will idle happily while cold.

However! Once the engine has warmed up, having the throttle stop adjusted as above naturally causes it to run far to fast with the throttle closed (making gear changes impossible), so the screw must be let back out. This done, it idles sweetly again.

The bike's principle rider (my girlfriend) is new to operating machinery and is finding it very difficult to get the hang of riding it cold while this problem persists, especially shifting down to neutral as she comes to a stop without stalling.

Incidentally, when the bike is warm, and the throttle stop set in the 'correct' position, it runs and revs fine, but tends to hesitate (as if considering stalling) when the throttle is rolled on from idle. I don't find this annoying, but I mention this in case it is a further symptom of the same problem.

Anyway, I'm sure there is a perfectly simple adjustment I need to make somewhere to solve these cold-running issues. Anyone know what it might be? The carb has been recently cleaned

Thanks again for your help,
M-S

M-Saveloy

Back to top Go down

Townmate T80 cold idling problem Empty Re: Townmate T80 cold idling problem

Post  JohnW Wed 29 May - 22:43

This problem has already been discussed on this thread which you may find helpful https://yamahatownmatet80.forumotion.co.uk/t296-won-t-idle-when-cold

JohnW

Back to top Go down