YAMAHA TOWNMATE T80 FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

Top posting users this week
No user

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 237 on Fri 17 Sep - 12:50
Latest topics
» Replacement front shocks for T50 & T80
T80 how many left? Fight against rust EmptyThu 18 Apr - 21:00 by Mark1

» West Country Newbie
T80 how many left? Fight against rust EmptyThu 18 Apr - 20:55 by Mark1

» Swing Arm Bolt Query,,,,, Help !!!!!
T80 how many left? Fight against rust EmptyThu 29 Feb - 11:22 by Cilldara1

» How does a Recruitment CRM improve collaboration among team members involved in the hiring process?
T80 how many left? Fight against rust EmptyWed 6 Dec - 5:08 by samsmith

» Hello from Lancashire
T80 how many left? Fight against rust EmptyFri 20 Oct - 12:19 by fast but dim

» E488RNW in Scotland
T80 how many left? Fight against rust EmptyThu 12 Oct - 17:42 by JohnW

» New 275 x 17 Heidenau tyres
T80 how many left? Fight against rust EmptyTue 19 Sep - 14:04 by JohnW

» T80 in H J Pugh Auction 29th September reg No K358XPH
T80 how many left? Fight against rust EmptyMon 18 Sep - 20:39 by JohnW

» After market front damper warning
T80 how many left? Fight against rust EmptyWed 13 Sep - 19:38 by JohnW

T80 how many left? Fight against rust

4 posters

Go down

T80 how many left? Fight against rust Empty T80 how many left? Fight against rust

Post  steve9e Thu 7 Mar - 21:41

hi Guys  Laughing

Waiting for the sun to come out I had a look at the "How many Left " website, in 2018 there were recorded 20 Taxed and about 40 on SORN - not many left it seems unless they have Honda 90 clothes? Shocked

We uncovered another T80 recently, that had been stored for the last 20 years, a 1991 grey one which is being checked over as we speak. It came to us on Sorn and should be back on the road shortly as it runs well and looks tidy( even has the plastic grills and plug?). However the only part of concern, is the dreaded spot welds  beneath the fuel tank cavity are showing signs of the faint red line. mainly outer skin to mudguard seams.

In my opinion the only thing to do is to keep dosing the seams with anti rust fluid and just keeping an eye on things. Since there is no reason to paint these seams it makes viewing the "progress" of further corrosion easier. Putting an in line petrol tap just below the tank outlet saves having to keep draining the petrol out everytime you want to take the tank out for an inspection but that is a minor point.
Any ideas on proven rust treatments? Embarassed

steve9e

Back to top Go down

T80 how many left? Fight against rust Empty Re: T80 how many left? Fight against rust

Post  RuffStuff Fri 8 Mar - 1:04

I got some loctite rust cure stuff I used on my van.

I'm taking my 80 off the road for a bit to sort the rust as mudguard is showing now with surface rust everywhere else.
I'll use a wire on the dremel to clean it up then use the loctite and then I'll probably use hammerite so it stands it's best chance of another 34 years on the road.

It's almost done 47k so an engine refresh will happen aswell.
It'll be in the flat for a while

As for the fuel line, find a bolt that fits whip the line off and plug it, no tap to fail

RuffStuff

Back to top Go down

T80 how many left? Fight against rust Empty T80 how many left? fight against rust

Post  steve9e Fri 8 Mar - 10:11

hi Ruffstuff Very Happy

I have been rebuilding bikes for over 50 years and probably tried all sorts of remedies, but the advent of "car" type construction using sheet steel and spot welding provides a different challenge.
Any rust prevention liquid must be free flowing and seek out the rust, but I hear what you say but the progress of the dreaded tin worm in these locations are not fit and forget in my book - just a thought.

Petrol tap - I do what you say anyway but how many times have you spilt petrol over the bike when you lift out the tank thinking you have drained out all the fuel? To keep an eye on the advance of rust needs a quick and easy removal of the tank , preferably without spillage.

Thanks for your thoughts  Very Happy

steve9e

Back to top Go down

T80 how many left? Fight against rust Empty Re: T80 how many left? Fight against rust

Post  JohnW Sat 9 Mar - 17:48

steve9e wrote:hi Guys  Laughing

Waiting for the sun to come out I had a look at the "How many Left " website, in 2018 there were recorded 20 Taxed and about 40 on SORN - not many left it seems unless they have Honda 90 clothes? Shocked

We uncovered another T80 recently, that had been stored for the last 20 years, a 1991 grey one which is being checked over as we speak. It came to us on Sorn and should be back on the road shortly as it runs well and looks tidy( even has the plastic grills and plug?). However the only part of concern, is the dreaded spot welds  beneath the fuel tank cavity are showing signs of the faint red line. mainly outer skin to mudguard seams.

In my opinion the only thing to do is to keep dosing the seams with anti rust fluid and just keeping an eye on things. Since there is no reason to paint these seams it makes viewing the "progress" of further corrosion easier. Putting an in line petrol tap just below the tank outlet saves having to keep draining the petrol out everytime you want to take the tank out for an inspection but that is a minor point.
Any ideas on proven rust treatments? Embarassed

Old engine oil mixed with grease, applied to tank cavity and below battery holder also under rear mudguard. Waxoil is useless drys out and rust gets underneath it

JohnW

Back to top Go down

T80 how many left? Fight against rust Empty T80 How many Left? Fight against rust

Post  steve9e Sat 9 Mar - 19:59

hi JW Surprised

We have talked about this before. A bit messy but out of sight. I reckon the mixture should be fairly liquid and rubbed into the welds.

cheers Laughing

steve9e

Back to top Go down

Post  barker Sat 18 May - 19:27

how many are there left now

barker

Back to top Go down

T80 how many left? Fight against rust Empty how many left?

Post  steve9e Sun 19 May - 8:24

hi barker :d\\'-\\':

see the opening note - 60 ish in 2018. Embarassed

steve9e

Back to top Go down

Post  barker Sun 19 May - 12:46

used to see one in bognor regis some times but not seen it for a year now to be honest i cant remember when i last saw one apart from mine

barker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down