YAMAHA TOWNMATE T80 FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
Mark1
what's the problem with early model T80 indicators? Vote_lcapwhat's the problem with early model T80 indicators? Voting_barwhat's the problem with early model T80 indicators? Vote_rcap 
JohnW
what's the problem with early model T80 indicators? Vote_lcapwhat's the problem with early model T80 indicators? Voting_barwhat's the problem with early model T80 indicators? Vote_rcap 

Top posting users this week
No user

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 237 on Fri 17 Sep - 12:50
Latest topics
» Replacement front shocks for T50 & T80
what's the problem with early model T80 indicators? EmptyThu 18 Apr - 21:00 by Mark1

» West Country Newbie
what's the problem with early model T80 indicators? EmptyThu 18 Apr - 20:55 by Mark1

» Swing Arm Bolt Query,,,,, Help !!!!!
what's the problem with early model T80 indicators? EmptyThu 29 Feb - 11:22 by Cilldara1

» How does a Recruitment CRM improve collaboration among team members involved in the hiring process?
what's the problem with early model T80 indicators? EmptyWed 6 Dec - 5:08 by samsmith

» Hello from Lancashire
what's the problem with early model T80 indicators? EmptyFri 20 Oct - 12:19 by fast but dim

» E488RNW in Scotland
what's the problem with early model T80 indicators? EmptyThu 12 Oct - 17:42 by JohnW

» New 275 x 17 Heidenau tyres
what's the problem with early model T80 indicators? EmptyTue 19 Sep - 14:04 by JohnW

» T80 in H J Pugh Auction 29th September reg No K358XPH
what's the problem with early model T80 indicators? EmptyMon 18 Sep - 20:39 by JohnW

» After market front damper warning
what's the problem with early model T80 indicators? EmptyWed 13 Sep - 19:38 by JohnW

what's the problem with early model T80 indicators?

4 posters

Go down

what's the problem with early model T80 indicators? Empty what's the problem with early model T80 indicators?

Post  Guest Thu 12 Sep - 14:05

Just wondering, as many seem to have an issue with the front, almost flush-fitting type indicators (not the later model ones on stalks). My recently acquired 1986 Townmate has had the right-front indicator 'bodged' by the original owner with a homemade bracket underneath to hold it in place, and it is still loose! Replacements of these early ones look to be unobtainable now. I may have to glue it in place before risking an MoT. Other T80's I've seen advertised for sale recently often seem to have a similar problem, with at least one fitting completely different after-market indicators. That could be a possible solution, I suppose.

Back to top Go down

what's the problem with early model T80 indicators? Empty Re: what's the problem with early model T80 indicators?

Post  JohnW Thu 12 Sep - 15:04

I think the original short indicators were replaced due to UK legislation that they needed to be a certain distance apart, hence why the rubber ones were fitted to the later models. The weak point is the bracket welded to the handle bars, these are rather flimsy and tend to crack. I would recommend replacing the older type short indicators with the longer rubber ones making sure that the brackets on the handle bars are sound. The rubber ones are basically the same as the rear ones with different mounting brackets. These seem to be readily available on eBay etc.

JohnW

Back to top Go down

what's the problem with early model T80 indicators? Empty Re: what's the problem with early model T80 indicators?

Post  Guest Thu 12 Sep - 15:18

Thanks John. Yes I have seen the later type indicators available and reasonably priced generally, although I do like the 'neat' look of the originals, including the rear ones which given the feeble lights generally must be almost invisible at night. I've so far resisted the temptation to dismantle the bike too much ( the original plan being an oily-rag, minimal cost type restoration! ) as I know once I start it will likely never end! I think I shall consider glue initially just to hold them secure for an MoT then look for a longer term fix as you suggest. Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Thu 12 Sep - 16:10

The important aspect is that they are legal and function correctly, personally I think the later rubber ones (front and back) are more visible & safer

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  Detec52 Thu 12 Sep - 16:14

Fit 6v led bulbs world of deference

Detec52

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 12 Sep - 16:21

Yes, I may have to investigate fitting LED bulbs on these small 6v bikes.

Back to top Go down

what's the problem with early model T80 indicators? Empty indicators

Post  steve9e Fri 20 Sep - 11:30

hi guys :d\\'-\\':
my tidy 1985 T80 has the original indicators and like JW said the wider fitting ones were to comply with some later spec. however I like my original ones which are in great condition and I improved the light output by super glueing small 12mm square mirrors behind the bulb on all four sides of the "reflector". It works a treat and only takes a few minutes to do.
It might sound a bit Heath Robinson but it works ! A fellow T80 owner commented how much brighter they were compared to his later spec ones?
Fitting LED lamps might not like the dirty DC/AC voltage but if it works why not?

I got my mirrors from a handicraft shop

cheers

Steve Very Happy

steve9e

Back to top Go down

Post  Detec52 Fri 20 Sep - 11:32

Led work fine I have them fitted on my 84 T80

Detec52

Back to top Go down

what's the problem with early model T80 indicators? Empty LED bulbs

Post  steve9e Fri 20 Sep - 13:51

:d\\'-\\': hi,Detec52

That's nice to know - all you need to do now is fit mirrors inside and you might have to wear sunglasses ?

Cheers

Steve

steve9e

Back to top Go down

Post  Detec52 Fri 20 Sep - 20:16

No need as they are super bright but you also need a electronic flasher unit to make them work £12.00 Ebay.

Detec52

Back to top Go down

what's the problem with early model T80 indicators? Empty LEDs to replace bulbs

Post  andrewp Sun 16 Feb - 17:43

Have just fitted 6v LEDs to the indicators and stop/tail bulb. New flasher relay fitted in order to handle the LEDs. What a world of difference! The indicators are really bright and now have a steady flash, even when the brake light is on - they used to stop flashing before.
I got mine from Classic Car LEDs Ltd at Cheltenham. Not cheap at about £50 for the total set up but they arrived the day after I ordered them.
The new relay could not accept the plug from the wiring loom so I had to add some spade terminals on a wire to bridge. The new relay also has a black earth wire which does need to be earthed. I found that there is a screw near the speed connection which makes a good earth point. The extra advantage is that I can now run my sat nav from the USB I have installed. Previously it hated the demands made on the 6v supply by brake light and indicators.
andrewp
andrewp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down