YAMAHA TOWNMATE T80 FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
Mark1
Fettling my Townmate Vote_lcapFettling my Townmate Voting_barFettling my Townmate Vote_rcap 
JohnW
Fettling my Townmate Vote_lcapFettling my Townmate Voting_barFettling my Townmate Vote_rcap 

Top posting users this week
No user

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 237 on Fri 17 Sep - 12:50
Latest topics
» Replacement front shocks for T50 & T80
Fettling my Townmate EmptyThu 18 Apr - 21:00 by Mark1

» West Country Newbie
Fettling my Townmate EmptyThu 18 Apr - 20:55 by Mark1

» Swing Arm Bolt Query,,,,, Help !!!!!
Fettling my Townmate EmptyThu 29 Feb - 11:22 by Cilldara1

» How does a Recruitment CRM improve collaboration among team members involved in the hiring process?
Fettling my Townmate EmptyWed 6 Dec - 5:08 by samsmith

» Hello from Lancashire
Fettling my Townmate EmptyFri 20 Oct - 12:19 by fast but dim

» E488RNW in Scotland
Fettling my Townmate EmptyThu 12 Oct - 17:42 by JohnW

» New 275 x 17 Heidenau tyres
Fettling my Townmate EmptyTue 19 Sep - 14:04 by JohnW

» T80 in H J Pugh Auction 29th September reg No K358XPH
Fettling my Townmate EmptyMon 18 Sep - 20:39 by JohnW

» After market front damper warning
Fettling my Townmate EmptyWed 13 Sep - 19:38 by JohnW

Fettling my Townmate

3 posters

Go down

Fettling my Townmate Empty Fettling my Townmate

Post  M-Saveloy Sat 1 Mar - 17:38

Hello there,

With the daffodils up and and springtime chirping of birds filling the air today, I took it upon myself to do a bit of fettling on the my T80 (B-reg).

It runs well (19 thou miles, I think), but it's never idled when cold and this puts my girlfriend off trying to ride it. It stalls every time she comes to a junction, which is something the motorists of Bristol don't thank her for.

Anyroad, I was of a mind to check the valve clearances as I doubt they've ever been done, but I can't persuade the little covers off for any quantity of trying. Does anyone have any tips for achieving this operation? I had a (12-sided) 24mm socket on them, and even when held very firmly in place it elected to damage corners rather than effect movement.

I also wonder if anyone ever replaced the machine screws that attach engine covers with Allen-headed screws? If so, do you know what threads, lengths, etc are required? The current Philips screws seem to want to round out at the slightest provocation, even when presented with the snuggest-fitting of drivers. While they are coming undone, I wouldn't like to have to put them back in again.

Ta,
Matt

M-Saveloy

Back to top Go down

Fettling my Townmate Empty Re: Fettling my Townmate

Post  Admin drgaz Sat 1 Mar - 19:30

Matt try undoing them when the motors been running or apply some heat becareful though not to hot.
Admin drgaz
Admin drgaz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  M-Saveloy Sat 1 Mar - 19:58

Ah yes good idea, an excuse for a spin around town. I might try and get a six pointed socket too, rather than the 12 pointed one I'm using.

M-Saveloy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin drgaz Sat 1 Mar - 20:25

Block of wood and lightly tap the top to a good soaking over night with wd40 or plus gas will be good to.
Admin drgaz
Admin drgaz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Sun 2 Mar - 9:03

Admin drgaz wrote:Block of wood and lightly tap the top to a good soaking over night with wd40 or plus gas will be good to.

To undo tappet covers you need either a socket with FULL hexagon (the ones which only locate on corners will slip & chew up the alloy)
I use a spanner like pictured. Given a sharp hit with hammer, it will loosen caps ok.
As for Philips screws, an impact wrench with correct bit usually loosens them, replace them with s/steel socket cap screws. A guy on here (Fuzz) sells them on his Mildhogs web site http://www.mildhogs.8m.com/t80shop.html
Fettling my Townmate Dsc03317

Last edited by JohnW on Sun 2 Mar - 14:39; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : socket screws should be stainless steel not alloy)

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  M-Saveloy Sun 2 Mar - 10:07

Right, I'm off to acquire a 6-sided socket or spanner. Silly question, it is 24mm isn't it?

M-Saveloy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin drgaz Sun 2 Mar - 10:12

You sure its not muck in the slow running jet that makes its stall?? It may not be tight tappets as you would have low compression.
Admin drgaz
Admin drgaz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Sun 2 Mar - 12:44

M-Saveloy wrote:Right, I'm off to acquire a 6-sided socket or spanner. Silly question, it is 24mm isn't it?
Yes 24mm.

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Sun 2 Mar - 12:49

Admin drgaz wrote:You sure its not muck in the slow running jet that makes its stall?? It may not be tight tappets as you would have low compression.

Could be blocked idle jet, but likely to be tight tappets as in this thread https://yamahatownmatet80.forumotion.co.uk/t296-won-t-idle-when-cold?highlight=Idle+speed Might not be enough to affect compression on kick over.

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin drgaz Sun 2 Mar - 13:35

I would have thought that if the tappets where tight that the none idle would be when the motor got hot and would allow the tappets to stay open? Also it would back fire though the carb or the exhaust when hot? I recon dirt in the jets or the carb needs setting up.
Admin drgaz
Admin drgaz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Fettling my Townmate Empty T80 crankcase screw sizes

Post  JohnW Sun 2 Mar - 14:38

As Mildhogs no longer do the socket screw sets, you will have to buy in individual packs, This eBay shop Falcon Workshop Supplies http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M6-6mm-A2-STAINLESS-STEEL-SOCKET-CAP-SCREWS-ALLEN-KEY-BOLTS-HEX-HEAD-FWS-/190738124834?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&var=490105261577&hash=item2c68e0d022 does all the required sizes in packs from 5 to 100.
Here are the sizes:-
Flywheel cover
M6 x 30mm (2)
M6 x 40mm (1)

Clutch/Transmission side:
M6 x 35mm (7)
M6 x 45mm (1)

Main crankcase (some only accessible if engine removed from frame)
M6 x 45 (6)
M6 x 60 (2)
M6 x 75 (1)

Last edited by JohnW on Thu 6 Mar - 19:56; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Alternative supplier added as Mildhogs no longer do them.)

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down