YAMAHA TOWNMATE T80 FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
Mark1
Air Filter Pod Vote_lcapAir Filter Pod Voting_barAir Filter Pod Vote_rcap 
JohnW
Air Filter Pod Vote_lcapAir Filter Pod Voting_barAir Filter Pod Vote_rcap 

Top posting users this week
No user

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 237 on Fri 17 Sep - 12:50
Latest topics
» Replacement front shocks for T50 & T80
Air Filter Pod EmptyThu 18 Apr - 21:00 by Mark1

» West Country Newbie
Air Filter Pod EmptyThu 18 Apr - 20:55 by Mark1

» Swing Arm Bolt Query,,,,, Help !!!!!
Air Filter Pod EmptyThu 29 Feb - 11:22 by Cilldara1

» How does a Recruitment CRM improve collaboration among team members involved in the hiring process?
Air Filter Pod EmptyWed 6 Dec - 5:08 by samsmith

» Hello from Lancashire
Air Filter Pod EmptyFri 20 Oct - 12:19 by fast but dim

» E488RNW in Scotland
Air Filter Pod EmptyThu 12 Oct - 17:42 by JohnW

» New 275 x 17 Heidenau tyres
Air Filter Pod EmptyTue 19 Sep - 14:04 by JohnW

» T80 in H J Pugh Auction 29th September reg No K358XPH
Air Filter Pod EmptyMon 18 Sep - 20:39 by JohnW

» After market front damper warning
Air Filter Pod EmptyWed 13 Sep - 19:38 by JohnW

Air Filter Pod

+2
JohnW
3hundredspartans
6 posters

Go down

Air Filter Pod Empty Air Filter Pod

Post  3hundredspartans Sun 2 Mar - 22:37

Hi All,

Just contemplating putting an air pod filter on the T80. Has anyone tried to do so?

Is there any improvement in performance, not that I am looking for any really, just curious.

Any thoughts/suggestions welcom.

Regards, Frank.

3hundredspartans

Back to top Go down

Air Filter Pod Empty Re: Air Filter Pod

Post  JohnW Sun 2 Mar - 22:50

3hundredspartans wrote:Hi All,

Just contemplating putting an air pod filter on the T80. Has anyone tried to do so?

Is there any improvement in performance, not that I am looking for any really, just curious.

Any thoughts/suggestions welcom.

Regards, Frank.

No point as original air filter is more than adequate, just wash out the filter pad or replace it with a new one, plenty on eBay

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank1e Sat 15 Mar - 23:04

I put a foam "k and m" filter on mine (not really thru choice my air box is broken looking for a replacement) i dont think its an improvement ..if it was i'd say yamaha would have fitted one too ! but when i get me airbox i'll do a timed 100 yard standin start an compare the 2..hows that eh ?

Frank1e

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin drgaz Sat 15 Mar - 23:22

I Think little or no difference apart from induction noise may be, where are you Frankie uk?
Admin drgaz
Admin drgaz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank1e Sat 15 Mar - 23:30

yes UK

Frank1e

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin drgaz Sat 15 Mar - 23:49

10/4 on that
Admin drgaz
Admin drgaz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  barker Sun 16 Mar - 16:50

I think I have a air filter in my shed if you still want one let me know

barker

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank1e Thu 20 Mar - 17:35

Barker, thanks for the offer (i think it was me your talking to) didnt see your reply 'till today. I got one , its on its way ..ta  Very Happy 

Frank1e

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank1e Thu 20 Mar - 17:41

I tried a top speed run on the t80 with the k n N fiter fitted .. wide open throttle , down hill , induction noise was deafening...then silence..apart from the locked up back wheel skidding on the tarmac... are oversize pistons freely available for the t80 ? think i may need one !

Frank1e

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Thu 20 Mar - 22:47

Frank1e wrote:I tried a top speed run on the t80 with the k n N fiter fitted .. wide open throttle , down hill , induction noise was deafening...then silence..apart from the locked up back wheel skidding on the tarmac... are oversize pistons freely available for the t80 ? think i may need one !

Plenty on eBay Std & oversize. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050890.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XYamaha+t80+Townmate+pistons&_nkw=Yamaha+t80+Townmate+pistons&_sacat=0&_from=R40
Are you sure its the piston that's seized?

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank1e Wed 26 Mar - 15:01

yes seized piston .. free'd up again an i rode it home. Stripped top end piston had seized at 4 corners of the skirt , not much damage cleaned up ok , i reduced skirt clearance, checked bore clearance all ok .. i put it down to non standard air filter an it runnin too hot Shocked 

Frank1e

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Wed 26 Mar - 18:03

Frank1e wrote:yes seized piston .. free'd up again an i rode it home. Stripped top end piston had seized at 4 corners of the skirt , not much damage cleaned up ok , i reduced skirt clearance, checked bore clearance  all ok .. i put it down to non standard air filter an it runnin too hot Shocked 
Is there enough oil in the engine? a seizure is more likely through lack of oil. Also if oil is ok might be worth checking the oil pump is working (you need to remove drive side crankcase cover) I have known the pump drive gear to come loose on its shaft & strip teeth, thus causing pump to stop working, resulting in piston seizure

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank1e Wed 26 Mar - 20:34

Oil amount and delivery is good..plenty of oil . Not a friction seizure this one, expansion seizure,bit like a rebore thats too tight..nips up when hot..
too much air in mix ..runs too hot with that filter..larger main jet would be needed..I fink so anyways..

Frank1e

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank1e Mon 26 May - 11:47

No i was wrong about that...sieze up had little to do with k&n air filter .. fitted standard box and filter and the engine seized again !..piston to bore clearance,too tight.
but engine run much better with standard box fitted
getting 50 mph .. but still running rich on full throttle..too rich..worn main jet maybe..aye maybe...

Frank1e

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Mon 26 May - 12:04

Frank1e wrote:No i was wrong about that...sieze up had little to do with k&n air filter .. fitted standard box and filter and the engine seized again !..piston to bore clearance,too tight.
but engine run much better with standard box fitted
getting 50 mph .. but still running rich on full throttle..too rich..worn main jet maybe..aye maybe...

It may of course have been recently rebored by a previous owner so wants running in, anyway 50 mph is a tad high for a T80 I keep mine to 45, at 50 it vibrates

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank1e Wed 28 May - 12:24

Yes i keep my t80 at 40-45mph , bikes design is more suited to that laid back speed .

I would move the needle clip position up a notch if it was easy an didnt disturb those fragile seals .. i may have to , fuel consumption could be better too.
Runnin too rich at WOT..

Frank1e

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Wed 28 May - 12:47

Frank1e wrote:Yes i keep my t80 at 40-45mph , bikes design is more suited to that laid back speed .

I would move the needle clip position up a notch if it was easy an didnt disturb those fragile seals .. i may have to , fuel consumption could be better too.
Runnin too rich at WOT..

Might be the main jet too large as on full throttle (which you say you run it at) the carb would be on main jet rather than the needle. But who would change a main jet in a T80? That is if you can get a larger one. The correct jet is No 85, you can get to this by taking the float bowl off (4 screws) no need to disturb seals. You will need a new gasket though (sets on eBay). Have you also checked that the choke is returning to off position, cable may be seized or spring weak. As for engine seizing, this may be due to a worn or malfunctioning oil pump. I have known oil pumps to come loose, this causes oil starvation & piston seizes. The oil pump is on the right had (drive side) cover so you would need to take that off to check, again you will need a new gasket (eBay) & maybe new screws as the originals may chew up when removing. Best to replace with socket head screws.

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank1e Wed 28 May - 17:40

Seals have to be disturbed to adjust needle position .. and needle position opens and closes main jet orifice (earlier or later and its progressive)

main jet is standard .. jets can easily be enlarged by cleaning them out with a piece of wire or such like..its happened before...

Frank1e

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Thu 29 May - 8:34

Frank1e wrote:Seals have to be disturbed to adjust needle position .. and needle position opens and closes main jet orifice (earlier or later and its progressive)

main jet is standard .. jets can easily be enlarged by cleaning them out with a piece of wire or such like..its happened before...

Best to try another carb, Admin drgaz may still have one for sale that came from a running bike so should be OK

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  teapot Thu 29 May - 8:44

I've played about with the jetting on these carbs quite a lot, from extremes of lean to very rich, but never had an engine tighten up even at full throttle for several miles.

However I have had one with a faulty oil pump. Some of the teeth had stripped off the cog and it would only turn some of the time  rabbit 
This one did sieze.

Take the clutch cover off and check the condition of the oil pump drive cogs and ensure the half-moon shaped shaft is turning with the cog and isn't rounded off. Also check the oil strainer near the drain plug.

If after all this you are sure that it is still the carb, I have quite a few spare carb internals and could probably fix (and test) it if you sent it to me.

teapot

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Thu 29 May - 14:44

teapot wrote:

However I have had one with a faulty oil pump. Some of the teeth had stripped off the cog and it would only turn some of the time  rabbit 
This one did sieze.

This usually happens if the two countersunk screws holding the pump in place come loose. As for the carb, as I said in a previous comment, rich running is more likely to be due to the choke butterfly not returning properly, either because the cable has seized or because the spring that returns it to the open position is broken or week. Take off the air hose off the carb & see if the butterfly coke is opening when the choke lever is released. Note its push to the left to close & push to right to open choke. Is the choke lever in the correct position?

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down