YAMAHA TOWNMATE T80 FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

Top posting users this week
No user

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 237 on Fri 17 Sep - 12:50
Latest topics
» Replacement front shocks for T50 & T80
Reasoning for a 6V system for the Townmate. EmptyThu 18 Apr - 21:00 by Mark1

» West Country Newbie
Reasoning for a 6V system for the Townmate. EmptyThu 18 Apr - 20:55 by Mark1

» Swing Arm Bolt Query,,,,, Help !!!!!
Reasoning for a 6V system for the Townmate. EmptyThu 29 Feb - 11:22 by Cilldara1

» How does a Recruitment CRM improve collaboration among team members involved in the hiring process?
Reasoning for a 6V system for the Townmate. EmptyWed 6 Dec - 5:08 by samsmith

» Hello from Lancashire
Reasoning for a 6V system for the Townmate. EmptyFri 20 Oct - 12:19 by fast but dim

» E488RNW in Scotland
Reasoning for a 6V system for the Townmate. EmptyThu 12 Oct - 17:42 by JohnW

» New 275 x 17 Heidenau tyres
Reasoning for a 6V system for the Townmate. EmptyTue 19 Sep - 14:04 by JohnW

» T80 in H J Pugh Auction 29th September reg No K358XPH
Reasoning for a 6V system for the Townmate. EmptyMon 18 Sep - 20:39 by JohnW

» After market front damper warning
Reasoning for a 6V system for the Townmate. EmptyWed 13 Sep - 19:38 by JohnW

Reasoning for a 6V system for the Townmate.

5 posters

Go down

Reasoning for a 6V system for the Townmate. Empty Reasoning for a 6V system for the Townmate.

Post  3hundredspartans Tue 10 Feb - 11:22

Hi All,

Just thought about putting it out there to see what you folk think might have been the logic behind designing the Townmate with a 6V electrical system as opposed to a 12V electrical system. Does anyone know if there was any particular reason for doing so? I cannot see why Yamaha chose the 6V path at a time when most other models were 12V, particularly when they already had an identical engine that ran 12V in the YFM80, YFM100 Badger/Raptor.

Regards, Frank. Question

3hundredspartans

Back to top Go down

Reasoning for a 6V system for the Townmate. Empty Re: Reasoning for a 6V system for the Townmate.

Post  barker Wed 11 Feb - 15:58

in the 60s most bikes ran 6 volt in fact cars were 6 volt up till then or some were

barker

Back to top Go down

Reasoning for a 6V system for the Townmate. Empty Re: Reasoning for a 6V system for the Townmate.

Post  3hundredspartans Wed 11 Feb - 23:59

That might have been the case in the 60s but we're talking the 80s when everything ran on 12V. The reason I find it odd that Yamaha chose to design it with a 6V system is because they had the same engine with a 12V system fitted to the YFM80 Quad bikes.

3hundredspartans

Back to top Go down

Post  barker Thu 12 Feb - 9:54

may be the t80 was ment for the Asian market ,were they just followed on with what they had there,
after all how many of 125 size bikes that we get in Europe are made for Europe most are adapted to suit our law

barker

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Thu 12 Feb - 12:18

When did the YFM80 Quad bike come onto market? a Google search says they were made 1986 to 2008 but most that seem to be for sale are post 2000. So this would have been after production of T80 ceased. So Yamaha would have modified the T80 engine with 12 volt generator & starter motor after T80 production ceased. This would explain why the T80 was not fitted with an electric starter. The 6 volt system works ok apart from lighting which would be better with 12 volt, but as the T80 was only aimed at a commuter market & ridden mainly in urban areas with street lighting then the 6 volt system was dreamed sufficient.
Paul Goff is now doing 6 volt LED indicator bulbs so that would address poor indicator problems.

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  3hundredspartans Thu 12 Feb - 12:38

John, your explanation seems to be a valid one but what year was the last year for the T80? 1996?
The YFMs were 12 volt even before then but I do think production did run from the mid 80s.

3hundredspartans

Back to top Go down

Post  barker Thu 12 Feb - 16:29

were the yfms and t80s made in the same factory or country

barker

Back to top Go down

Post  3hundredspartans Thu 12 Feb - 23:40

I would imagine on a different production line but definitely made in Japan, early ones anyway. The ones for the American market would have been made in the US, I think.

3hundredspartans

Back to top Go down

Post  barker Fri 13 Feb - 9:07

in that case they most properly just used up all the bits they had left, seems strange to use 6 volt in the ninety's Honda 90s went 12 volt in the 80s

barker

Back to top Go down

Post  3hundredspartans Fri 13 Feb - 22:57

Barker exactly my point. Yamaha in their wisdom went to 6V.

3hundredspartans

Back to top Go down

Post  barker Sat 14 Feb - 15:32

well im glad we managed to solve that one

barker

Back to top Go down

Post  barker Sun 15 Feb - 6:43

HOWS SYDNEY THIS EVENING IM OFF ON A TRIP TO LONDON AT 6.30 IN THE NORNING THOUGHT OF YOU HAVEING YOUR FIRST PINT IN THE SUN
WHILE IM RIDEING IN THE DARK WAITING FOR THE SUN TO APPEAR FROM DOWN YOUR END

barker

Back to top Go down

Post  3hundredspartans Sun 15 Feb - 11:57

Bloody marvelous here in Sydney. 30C, sunny with some afternoon thunderstorms to cool things off. Sunrise is at 6.30AM and sunset at 8PM. Might go down to the beach on the T80 for swim after work.....Ahhhhhhhh!

Sorry to rub it in.......

3hundredspartans

Back to top Go down

Post  barker Sun 15 Feb - 18:03

you bitch

barker

Back to top Go down

Post  3hundredspartans Sun 15 Feb - 22:36

lol! :d\\'-\\':

3hundredspartans

Back to top Go down

Post  adespin Wed 4 Nov - 13:06

I know i'm a bit late contributing to this thread, i've just read it. My first new bike in 1964 was a Honda CB72, i was 16 at the time, like a dog with two tails. The CB72 was introduce in 1959 and had twelve volt electrics back then, i remember my older motorcycle mates had Triumph Bonnies and BSA Super Rockets and would blow me off on outward Sunday runs, but on the ride home in the dark they stayed behind me and rode at my pace, because i could see where i was going and they couldn't. So if Honda saw the light back in 59, why couldn't Yamaha who were their main competitor.
adespin
adespin

Back to top Go down

Post  3hundredspartans Wed 4 Nov - 22:52

In regards to this topic, that's the million dollar question. Unless you find someone who was responsible for marketing the Townmate in Europe or even speaking to an engineer involved with the production of it (highly unlikely), then we will never know why.

What makes it more confusing is the YFM80 Quad bike of the same vintage, which shared the same engine apart from the 4th gear, ran a 12 volt system anyway, both ignition and lighting. Yamaha did have the means to easily design the Townmate with a 12V system but chose not to for some reason.

I've converted mine to run 12V lighting and left the ignition on 6V. Had it running for nearly 2 years now and not a problem. After doing the conversion which is very straight forward, I can't see why Yamaha prefered 6V over 12V.

I have even spoken to some tech guys here at Yamaha Motor Australia and even sent emails to Yamaha Japan but the guys here couldn't explain it.

Food for thought! scratch

3hundredspartans

Back to top Go down

Post  adespin Thu 5 Nov - 11:17

Hi, any chance of you showing us how to convert to 12V, or if you have already done so, a link the thread. :d\\'-\\':

Thanks,
Ade.
adespin
adespin

Back to top Go down

Post  Onthebrakes Fri 6 Nov - 10:05

Hi
I have used all LED bulbs in mine and kept 6v
Headlight is as bright as a car in fact it now really gets the four wheelers attention
All off eBay from China ( where else!) few pounds
You just need to run them direct from the battery (smooths the voltage) rather than direct from the generator as original
Ps
Anyone have a side stand from the early model they want to sell
Regards
Onthebrakes

Onthebrakes

Back to top Go down

Reasoning for a 6V system for the Townmate. Empty Side stand/footrests

Post  JohnW Fri 6 Nov - 10:23

Onthebrakes wrote:Hi
Anyone have a side stand from the early model they want to sell
Regards
Onthebrakes

Dont forget you will also need the earlier type footrests with the bracket on to fit the stand.
There is a new footrest with bracket on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MITSUI-MOTOR-CYCLE-FOOTREST-22F274110100-yamaha-townmate-T50-T80-/291605697898?hash=item43e50dd56a:g:XYkAAOSw~bFWN1Dn

Last edited by JohnW on Fri 6 Nov - 11:08; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : eBay link added)

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  3hundredspartans Fri 6 Nov - 11:00

adespin wrote:Hi, any chance of you showing us how to convert to 12V, or if you have already done so, a link the thread. :d\\'-\\':

Thanks,
Ade.

Yeah, sure. Look at this thread:

https://yamahatownmatet80.forumotion.co.uk/t664-6-volt-to-12-volt-conversion

Cheers, Frank.

3hundredspartans

Back to top Go down

Post  adespin Fri 6 Nov - 14:32

Thanks for that Frank, great info'. Now that i have finished restoring my GT380 this week, it's time to start on the T80 ready for the spring, should be a lot easier and cheaper than the Suzuki as there is not a lot of chrome parts and i already have the new exhaust, rims and spokes, so it's mostly paintwork as it's running fine. Will look into converting to 12V at the same time.
adespin
adespin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down