YAMAHA TOWNMATE T80 FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
Mark1
What tools do you like to carry on the bike? Vote_lcapWhat tools do you like to carry on the bike? Voting_barWhat tools do you like to carry on the bike? Vote_rcap 
JohnW
What tools do you like to carry on the bike? Vote_lcapWhat tools do you like to carry on the bike? Voting_barWhat tools do you like to carry on the bike? Vote_rcap 

Top posting users this week
No user

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 237 on Fri 17 Sep - 12:50
Latest topics
» Replacement front shocks for T50 & T80
What tools do you like to carry on the bike? EmptyThu 18 Apr - 21:00 by Mark1

» West Country Newbie
What tools do you like to carry on the bike? EmptyThu 18 Apr - 20:55 by Mark1

» Swing Arm Bolt Query,,,,, Help !!!!!
What tools do you like to carry on the bike? EmptyThu 29 Feb - 11:22 by Cilldara1

» How does a Recruitment CRM improve collaboration among team members involved in the hiring process?
What tools do you like to carry on the bike? EmptyWed 6 Dec - 5:08 by samsmith

» Hello from Lancashire
What tools do you like to carry on the bike? EmptyFri 20 Oct - 12:19 by fast but dim

» E488RNW in Scotland
What tools do you like to carry on the bike? EmptyThu 12 Oct - 17:42 by JohnW

» New 275 x 17 Heidenau tyres
What tools do you like to carry on the bike? EmptyTue 19 Sep - 14:04 by JohnW

» T80 in H J Pugh Auction 29th September reg No K358XPH
What tools do you like to carry on the bike? EmptyMon 18 Sep - 20:39 by JohnW

» After market front damper warning
What tools do you like to carry on the bike? EmptyWed 13 Sep - 19:38 by JohnW

What tools do you like to carry on the bike?

Go down

What tools do you like to carry on the bike? Empty What tools do you like to carry on the bike?

Post  Guest Sun 25 Aug - 12:11

Hello. I'm just wondering what tools if any you would normally carry on the bike, perhaps on a longer or more remote ride.  On the cub, for general running around (say up to ten miles or so) I can manage to carefully pack into the sidepanels a few open-ended spanners, multiblade screwdriver, Hex keys, small pliers and a spark plug wrench together with spare bulbs, fuses, insulating tape and a new spark plug! Perhaps I'm a bit OC, but in a backpack or seatbag I also like to have a can of tyre sealer/inflator just in case.  On longer journeys, I would also carry a spare inner tube, puncture outfit, tyre leavers, bicycle-type compact pump and spanners big enough to take both wheels off.

I know some riders seemingly carry nothing other than a credit card and mobile phone in order to call a tow truck!

Back to top Go down

What tools do you like to carry on the bike? Empty Re: What tools do you like to carry on the bike?

Post  JohnW Sun 25 Aug - 13:02

You can only carry a limited selection of tools (as you have listed) It always pays to take out an insurance policy that includes breakdown and recovery cover. Most UK insurers will include this in a classic policy. Obviously if you are planning overseas trips you will need to take extra cover, and carry a credit card!

JohnW

Back to top Go down

What tools do you like to carry on the bike? Empty Re: What tools do you like to carry on the bike?

Post  Guest Sun 25 Aug - 13:22

Yes, I have looked into some of these recovery policies quite recently whilst renewing my motorcycle insurance. One leading insurer appeared to be offering a very good recovery deal for just an extra £35 (or monthly payments if you prefer), but when I carefully read the several pages of 'small print' the conditions included the rider paying a £20 'call out charge' plus a mileage charge if you were unfortunate enough to break down more than ten miles from home. They also retained your bank details and would debit the whole lot in advance! In addition, it was entirely at their discretion whether they took you and the bike home or simply dropped you off at the nearest garage/workshop. With garage labour charges typically £50+ per hour, that makes for a very expensive puncture!
Another required a stamped service record for the vehicle (presumably aimed at car drivers who would not know a spark plug from a sink plug) whereas we all know that most motorcyclists traditionally service their own bikes.

So. buyer beware of course!

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Sun 25 Aug - 14:17

I am with Peter James and insure two bikes a 1965 250 Greeves and my T80 Townmate for £100 per year. Recovery is included with no restrictions. So give them a call next time your policy is due for renewal https://www.peterjamesinsurance.co.uk/

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 25 Aug - 14:37

Thanks, that definitely sounds like a very good deal, I've made a note of it. I usually use MCN's comparison site, which often has some good prices - but check the small print of course - and particularly with 8+ years NCB, but I think it may well pay to shop around a bit further.

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Sun 25 Aug - 19:43

I would point out that I have a 'classic bike' policy not sure of the cut off date for that but my T80 is 1991 and is included. Of course terms may be different for modern bikes & premiums more expensive.
I have assumed that you are running a Townmate.

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down