YAMAHA TOWNMATE T80 FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

Top posting users this week
No user

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 237 on Fri 17 Sep - 12:50
Latest topics
» Replacement front shocks for T50 & T80
wiring problems EmptyThu 18 Apr - 21:00 by Mark1

» West Country Newbie
wiring problems EmptyThu 18 Apr - 20:55 by Mark1

» Swing Arm Bolt Query,,,,, Help !!!!!
wiring problems EmptyThu 29 Feb - 11:22 by Cilldara1

» How does a Recruitment CRM improve collaboration among team members involved in the hiring process?
wiring problems EmptyWed 6 Dec - 5:08 by samsmith

» Hello from Lancashire
wiring problems EmptyFri 20 Oct - 12:19 by fast but dim

» E488RNW in Scotland
wiring problems EmptyThu 12 Oct - 17:42 by JohnW

» New 275 x 17 Heidenau tyres
wiring problems EmptyTue 19 Sep - 14:04 by JohnW

» T80 in H J Pugh Auction 29th September reg No K358XPH
wiring problems EmptyMon 18 Sep - 20:39 by JohnW

» After market front damper warning
wiring problems EmptyWed 13 Sep - 19:38 by JohnW

wiring problems

2 posters

Go down

wiring problems Empty wiring problems

Post  oldsomeman Mon 30 Sep - 22:34

Just bought a cheap bike and decided to put a new battery on as the old one was knackered.
now when you switch on the ignition the rear stop light stays on........i disconnected the switch but the light stayed on anyway.
when you use the indicators they dont work although all the bulbs are fine..but the back tail light flashes instead Surprised 
I assume there is a short but where to start looking is the problem.
Also can anyone help me as to what fabric makes up the air cleaner element as there is none present.
How sturdy should the center stand be..this one seems distinctly wobbly!. It seems to have rubber fee and not the flanges as seen on some descriptions on sites.
finally.....is the top line on the indicator on the crankcase the full sign for oil?
thanks for looking

oldsomeman

Back to top Go down

wiring problems Empty Re: wiring problems

Post  JohnW Tue 1 Oct - 19:43

Electrics
You obviously have a wiring fault, look at this link https://yamahatownmatet80.forumotion.co.uk/t233-townmate-wiring-diagram?highlight=Wiring+diagram & trace wiring.
Air Filter
Is foam rubber plenty for sale on ebay or you can make an element yourself from 6mm thick foam
Centre Stand
Should have no play in pivot, or rubber feet, looks like its worn, a job to fix as its a pin through stand & frame. Frame may be knackered
Oil indicator
Yes top line
Finally if you are going to repair the bike I would suggest you buy a Haynes manual to see how to do things.  Looks like the bike my be economically past repair.

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  oldsomeman Fri 4 Oct - 15:02

Thanks john for your replies
bike now running sweetly in the engine side....but do have to sort the short out for the indicators..strange thing is they worked before i changed the battery!
You are correct that i might need the manual .although i might settle for the location of the main earthing wire for the harness lol
foam filter is in and fitted...It didnt have one when i looked.
The stand has no play where it meets the frame......so the wobble is actually a worn stand.....so either i find another stand or i weld lugs onto the bottom of the stand to make it balance.Is the stand weldable does anyone know please?

oldsomeman

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Fri 4 Oct - 15:54

Yes the stand is weldable as it made of steel
Here is a link to owners manual (handbook) https://www.dropbox.com/s/tnk1ywq0e5ywp9u/Yamaha%20Townmate%20T80%20Owners%20Manual.pdf
It gives the basics for maintainence but you nood the full Haynes manual to do any serious work.
No Townmate owner should be without one!!

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  oldsomeman Fri 4 Oct - 17:27

Once again I am indebted to you john..thanks.
One day i will get it MOt'd lol

oldsomeman

Back to top Go down

Post  oldsomeman Fri 4 Oct - 18:59

now i am puzzled..
checked all earths and they are clean, no loose wire in headlamp, all bulbs new and all theholders like new( must have been replaced)
when you switch on the main switch the rear stop light comes on and flickers if you use the indicator switch.
is it possible that a faulty turn singal relay could cause such a short to light up the rear stop.
I have followed the wire diagram on paper but i cant see which one would be shorting via a cross over as th4 power wire out of the stop is blue, as is the rear indicators, bu the light out of the main switch is a different colour.......just noticed its supposed to have a front brake light.....wheres that hiding and could that short and be making the light to come on?
il have to strip out the brake cable....it needs replacing anyway,,,and have a look........

oldsomeman

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Fri 4 Oct - 20:06

Looks like the rear brake light switch may be stuck on or needs adjusting, The front brake light switch is part of the front brake cable, you cant replace it seperately from the cable, it also could be faulty. You will just have to work your way around the wiring. The indicator relay should not cause this problem.

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  oldsomeman Fri 4 Oct - 21:09

okay ill take out the cble and see f that improves it first.....the brake cable is stiff so it needs replacing....just didnt realise there was a switch there.
as i didnt have the problem before i assume its something i have done
i disconnected the rear brake swtich and the light stayed on so it cant be that.
Once again thanks

oldsomeman

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Sat 5 Oct - 7:43

Sorry I made a mistake about the brake light switch being in the cable, its in the RH switch housing (part of twistgrip assy) a small plunger switch which my have stuck. It is operated by a small pin cast into the front brake lever, this may have broken in which case you will need a new lever, plenty on eBay.

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  oldsomeman Mon 7 Oct - 14:10

state of play is as follows
all bubs are off the correct size
battery is o k and the wires connect to the main switch therefore assume main switch is ok,,,all seen earths cleaned
disconnected rear brake light and stop light stayed on
plunger moved on front brake switch when i took the assembly off and light stayed on when pressed in/out either way
flasher working as you can dimly see indicator flashing when engine going on one side..not the other side but going to check this
horn works and flasher light for indicator works
All wiring seems in good order and headlamp loom clean and unmoved much
it all points to an earthing fault somewhere but at the moment i cant see from the loom diagram where this possible earth fault might be.....wondering if i connect an earth direct to battery earth and to rear light earth if this might solve it.

oldsomeman

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Mon 7 Oct - 19:20

"wondering if i connect an earth direct to battery earth and to rear light earth if this might solve it."

Will not do any harm, just have to keep at it till you find the problem, sorry I cant help further

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  oldsomeman Sat 12 Oct - 23:34

Right i said i would keep you posted
I have found the problem.i tracec and checked the ciruit cleaning everything but fond the short n the end.
It was a gunged up front brake switch in the end...i took it apart and cleaned the contacts inside.and the flasher switch. Put it back together and pretso no more back stop light staying on
All the other bits on the bike work now so i can get it to the Mot this week and so onto the road I hope.
The stand i will replace as this one is definitely knackered! The ends are worn away!
anyhow thanks John for your assistance and comments.

oldsomeman

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Sun 13 Oct - 7:51

oldsomeman wrote:Right i said i would keep you posted
I have found the problem.i tracec and checked the ciruit cleaning  everything but fond the short n the end.
It was a gunged up front brake switch in the end...i took it apart and cleaned the contacts inside.and the flasher switch. Put it back together and pretso no more back stop  light staying on
All the other bits on the bike work  now so i can get it to the Mot this week and so onto the road I hope.
The stand i will replace as this one is definitely knackered! The ends are worn away!
anyhow thanks John for your assistance and comments.
Glad you have sorted it, I thought it would be the front brake stop light switch.

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down