YAMAHA TOWNMATE T80 FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

Top posting users this week
No user

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 237 on Fri 17 Sep - 12:50
Latest topics
» Replacement front shocks for T50 & T80
speeds in the gears EmptyThu 18 Apr - 21:00 by Mark1

» West Country Newbie
speeds in the gears EmptyThu 18 Apr - 20:55 by Mark1

» Swing Arm Bolt Query,,,,, Help !!!!!
speeds in the gears EmptyThu 29 Feb - 11:22 by Cilldara1

» How does a Recruitment CRM improve collaboration among team members involved in the hiring process?
speeds in the gears EmptyWed 6 Dec - 5:08 by samsmith

» Hello from Lancashire
speeds in the gears EmptyFri 20 Oct - 12:19 by fast but dim

» E488RNW in Scotland
speeds in the gears EmptyThu 12 Oct - 17:42 by JohnW

» New 275 x 17 Heidenau tyres
speeds in the gears EmptyTue 19 Sep - 14:04 by JohnW

» T80 in H J Pugh Auction 29th September reg No K358XPH
speeds in the gears EmptyMon 18 Sep - 20:39 by JohnW

» After market front damper warning
speeds in the gears EmptyWed 13 Sep - 19:38 by JohnW

speeds in the gears

4 posters

Go down

speeds in the gears Empty speeds in the gears

Post  oldsomeman Fri 28 Aug - 20:21

bearing in mind i an fat man what are the speeds in the gears.....it seems to change up ok but 3rd will need selectiong at arond 25 MPH and then 4th over 30 MPH.
At the moment it wont do much over 30 and 40 on the flat but i put that down to my weight on it Rolling Eyes
My last bike was a burgman 400 and so I am having to get used to lower speeds on this..but its embarrassing when going up a slope you have to change down to maintain 30....or do i need to check all the engine settings because there is something out of adjustment.
It starts ok and runs fine, engine sounds good and healthy, the brakes are not binding and air filter is new........of course the seat might give me monkey butt but whats new Laughing

oldsomeman

Back to top Go down

speeds in the gears Empty Re: speeds in the gears

Post  JohnW Sun 30 Aug - 10:51

oldsomeman wrote:bearing in mind i an  fat man what are the speeds in the gears.....it seems to change up ok but 3rd will need selectiong at arond 25 MPH and then 4th over 30 MPH.
At the moment it wont do much over 30 and 40 on the flat but i put that down to my weight on it Rolling Eyes
My last bike was a burgman 400 and so I am having to get used to lower speeds on this..but its embarrassing when  going up a slope you have to change down to maintain 30....or do i need to check all the engine settings because  there is something out of adjustment.
It starts ok and runs fine, engine sounds good and healthy, the brakes are not binding and  air filter is new........of course the seat might give me monkey butt but whats new  Laughing

The speeds you have quoted seem on par for a T80 but 40 to 45 on flat with no strong head wind should be achievable, I am just over 14 stone & can get up to these speeds OK, & dont have to change down only only really steep hills. Maybe your engine needs a tune up.

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank1e Thu 3 Sep - 11:45

Dear Oldsomeman, I shall share my experience with you . On a recent touring trip two up with my lady wife plus luggage on our super little townmate we achieved a steady 45 mph on the flat with no wind 15-35 mph on hills depending on inclines and 60mph downhill, now to achieve max thrust and keep momentum i have found one must change from 3rd into fourth at 40 mph i know the engine sounds like it will explode but it wont and put the notion out of your mind ! you cannot over rev these machines and this is normal operation . Now these mph figures are with a worn engine ( its using oil and compression is low ) Tho this will all change soon , with my new cylinder and piston ha ha my lady wife will have to hang on to her hat !,
kind regards
Frank

Frank1e

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Thu 3 Sep - 17:07

Frank1e wrote:Dear Oldsomeman, I shall share my experience with you . On a recent touring trip two up with my lady wife plus luggage on our super little townmate we achieved a steady 45 mph on the flat with no wind 15-35 mph on hills depending on inclines and 60mph downhill, now to achieve max thrust and keep momentum i have found one must change from 3rd into fourth at 40 mph i know the engine sounds like it will explode but it wont and put the notion out of your mind !  you cannot over rev these machines and this is normal operation . Now these mph figures are with a worn engine ( its using oil and compression is low ) Tho this will all change soon , with my new cylinder and piston ha ha my lady wife will have to hang on to her hat !,
kind regards
Frank

I disagree that the engine has to be revved, it will pull well from 20mph in top, it is not necessary to rev it to 40mph in 3rd even 2 up. Just uses more petrol & puts undue stress on engine. Yes I know they are bullet proof but there are limits. Probably why yours is burning oil & has lo compression.

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank1e Thu 3 Sep - 21:19

Oldsomeman,
Well i've studied your words and all i can advise is your machine acted like my own after fitting a new air filter , an ebay special probably just a flat piece of furniture foam , i blew an air line into it and very little came out the other side, it strangled the bike..i junked it and cut a new piece from a motocross filter .. big difference like a different bike an iridium plug helped as well.
good luck.

Frank1e

Back to top Go down

Post  barker Fri 4 Sep - 16:14

I have 3 town mates one does 60 the other 55 and the last one 45 , this proves to me the speedos are miles out of true

barker

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank1e Fri 4 Sep - 16:45

barker wrote:I have 3 town mates one does 60 the other 55 and the last one 45 , this proves to me the speedos are miles out of true

Barker, Thats a good point ! I've heard that before from two differing sources as well .. the speedos tend to record a slower mph reading...hmm yes.

Frank1e

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnW Sat 5 Sep - 9:06

Frank1e wrote:
barker wrote:I have 3 town mates one does 60 the other 55 and the last one 45 , this proves to me the speedos are miles out of true

Barker, Thats a good point ! I've heard that before from two differing sources as well .. the speedos tend to record a slower mph reading...hmm yes.

In my experience I have found speedos to be dead accurate when checked going through the flashing speed signs,
One thing that can effect top speed (other than engine condition) is the final drive bevel gear. The ones on the T50 are lower ratio so if a T50 one is fitted in a T80 it will be lower geared, hence lower top speed.
The bevel drive ratios are: ratios are T50 3.589 : 1 & T80 3.166 : 1

Last edited by JohnW on Sat 5 Sep - 9:11; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Gear ratios added)

JohnW

Back to top Go down

Post  oldsomeman Mon 14 Sep - 21:21

thanks for your comments folks.I will have a look as soon as i have time. :d\\'-\\':

oldsomeman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down